Biofungicides/ Growth Promoters

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious if any studies have been done with the application of various beneficial fungal and bacterial on Paph. roots and leaves, or if any ones has an anecdotal experience.

In America some are registered as fungicides (RootShield,Trianum, both Trichoderma based products), whereas others are registered as growth promoters (essentially fertilizers) because that registration and regulation process is easier than classifying them as fungicides. (Microflora is a product from Koppert based on two strains of Bacillus. Others are based on Streptomyces strains, such as Actinovate etc). The labels and claims are different in different countries for legal reasons, but I would be interested to know if anyone is using such products and if they are proving beneficial.

Both the fungal and bacterial based products attach to the roots, and even the leaves, offering a protective layer against pathogens. They have also been shown to increase nutrient uptake among other positive benefits.

These products are routinely used in bedding plants where the increase in growth and pant health is quite noticeable.

I have also learned that some Bacillus products when used as a foliar spray will prevent inoculation by powdery mildew and other fungal pathogens, which makes me curious if they could also prevent infection by Erwinia or Pseudomonas or other bacterial pathogens.

(We won't discuss my current Erwinia or Pseudomonas situation. Physan 20 arrives today!)

Each beneficial microbe has its own byproducts and it is those that affect the plant and the rhizosphere. The more species used, the broader the spectrum of protection. Not only do some live on roots and leaves, they can live within them and the potting media, as well.

Back in 2013, I was approached by the VP of Sales for Inocucor, a Canadian biotechnology company, about trying their Garden Solution product. It contained an assortment of bacteria consortia as well as a fungus (brewers yeast). I started using it regularly, but saw no particular benefit - I thought. After a while, I started noticing I simply was not seeing any rots occur and the plants were doing very well, although I’m certain most of that latter observation was related to my use of Kelpak.

I received an expensive phalaenopsis clone that arrived with what appeared to be erwinia. I immersed the entire plant in the diluted Inocucor solution for about an hour, and sprayed it periodically for a few days after that, and the issue resolved.

They ceased production a few years ago, so I sought a replacement and now use Quantum-Total from Ecological Labs. It is 100% bacterial, again containing several species, and is unique because it contains photosynthetic and nitrogen-fixing species that can boost the food and fuel content of the plants.

Each beneficial microbe has its own byproducts and it is those that affect the plant and the rhizosphere. The more species used, the broader the spectrum of protection. Not only do some live on roots and leaves, they can live within them and the potting media, as well.

Back in 2013, I was approached by the VP of Sales for Inocucor, a Canadian biotechnology company, about trying their Garden Solution product. It contained an assortment of bacteria consortia as well as a fungus (brewers yeast). I started using it regularly, but saw no particular benefit - I thought. After a while, I started noticing I simply was not seeing any rots occur and the plants were doing very well, although I’m certain most of that latter observation was related to my use of Kelpak.

I received an expensive phalaenopsis clone that arrived with what appeared to be erwinia. I immersed the entire plant in the diluted Inocucor solution for about an hour, and sprayed it periodically for a few days after that, and the issue resolved.

They ceased production a few years ago, so I sought a replacement and now use Quantum-Total from Ecological Labs. It is 100% bacterial, again containing several species, and is unique because it contains photosynthetic and nitrogen-fixing species that can boost the food and fuel content of the plants.
Thanks for your input! This all makes sense. I supply young plants and plugs in the US to cut flower growers and we are in talks with Koppert about offering some of their products to our customers who are generally adverse to traditional horticultural chemicals. I just learned that the fungi based products should be inoculated first as they grow more slowly than the bacterial products. The bacterium can be applied later and they occupy any available space on the roots offering a second layer of defense.

I will ask for samples and see if I can set up some sort of experiment. Maybe I'll experiment on some cheap Phals, as I don't know if I could bear purposefully inducing rot in a group of brachys!

I will look into Quantum Total as well. I'm not sure what all I have access to here in Europe, but I'm sure there are some good options.

Back