cam plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy

Reaction score
paphs & phrags, my question is about transpiration, exchange of gasses through stomata

Last edited:
I doubt Paphs and phrags are cam plants.
Up to about half of epiphytic orchids are reported to be cam plants.

And yes, Troy, your topics are too general and broad and there is no question.:p

The gas exchange, what to what, from what I understand stomata cells open during sunrise and sunset?

I don't think that's true for Paphs and phrags since I doubt that they are cam plants.
Also, regulations regarding the opening and closing mechanism of stomata is not completely understood. Plants may shut it down when the humidity is too low as well. It was discussed before here and in other forums.
Someone knowledgeable might jump in.
Gas exchange what to what? Carbon dioxide and oxygen, duh! Or are you talking about something different??

Majority of plants follow the standard, by which I mean they take use carbon dioxide for photosynthesis and release oxygen during the day time, and this is reversed at night.
Some other plants like cactus, they don't follow this because the environment is arid and this opening their stomata poses threat to dry themselves to death. So they keep the stomata closed during the hot day time and open to take in carbon dioxide at night.

You can learn about the basic details on this biology on the internet.

Thanks!! I wasn't sure if that rule applied to paphs and phrags, I found some brief info that didn't answer my questions, and found some $200.00 and up books on paphs & phrags

HP7 is probably right. There aren't many data, but at least with P. insigne and P. parishii, there is no evidence for CAM in these species.
Full Text: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...edilum_insigne_and_Paphiopedilum_parishii.pdf
Abstract: http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/54/4/583.short

From the habitat of Phragmipedium (with lots of water), they are likely to be C3, too. I don't think there is any data, though (because nobody suspect CAM).

Arditti's Fundamentals of Orchid Biology has a compilation of mode of photosynthesis (CAM vs C3, no C4 is known for Orchids).

Also, fair number of CAM orchids appear to be facultative. For example, Phalaenopsis behaves like C3 right after watering, but when the media becomes drier, they goes toward CAM.

They are definitely not cam plants. I measured the co2 ratio in a light efficiency test some years ago. It would not make sense anyway for paphs and phrags to be cam plants since they don't have to worry about water loss.

You should be able to find a download for a paper entitled Crassulacean acid metabolism and epiphytism linked to adaptive radiation in the Orchidaceae. Data is presented that shows several Phrags and a Selenipedium that are not CAM. I don't think any other slippers were mentioned. CAM would be expected among epiphytes and arid adapted plants. Among slippers maybe Mexipedium would be most likely?

Latest posts

Back