Catasandra hybrid (Gal. greenwoodiana 'SVO Purple Lip' x Ctsm. denticulatum 'Orange Lip')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Catasandra hybrid (Gal. greenwoodiana 'SVO Purple Lip' x Ctsm. denticulatum 'Orange Lip')

Friday the 13th! In some ways, the flower fits.

I'm not sure I trust OrchidRoots at this time. It's only showing me 2 Galeandra greenwoodiana hybrids. Could that be true? Based on that, it seems like this is an unregistered hybrid.

Based on the clonal names and overall hybridization approach, you may have already guessed that this came from Sunset Valley Orchids.

At the time when I purchased this, I don't believe I really knew how the flower would turn out. The only thing I was hoping for is that it would be fragrant, since both parent species are. I also I thought it might have some novel coloration like certain other Catasetum intergeneric hybrids have to offer.

Truthfully this plant fails to meet my expectations (whether warranted or not).

My biggest gripe is that the flowers are basically non-fragrant at this point. The other day I did sort of think I might've caught a whiff of something, but otherwise, it's not fragrant. Maybe in a few more days something will develop, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Overall the smallish flowers don't grab my attention. The flowers are small, proportionally small and overall just small. They don't have much in the way of bright or unusual color or shape. In some ways, they almost look like any other random Catasetum hybrid that lacks in charm.

I can say some nice things about the plant. So far it's fairly small/compact growing. It's definitely the most vigorous of my Catasetum alliance plants. It did also inherit the apical blooming habit of the Galeandra parent, which at least makes it interesting in the context of the Catasetum alliance.

Attachments

• 20240913_121822.jpg
    20240913_121822.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240913_121823.jpg
    20240913_121823.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240913_121820.jpg
    20240913_121820.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240913_121822.jpg
    20240913_121822.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240913_121823.jpg
    20240913_121823.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 1
I think that is a very honest assessment. At least from a hybridizing perspective I would say this one falls within the 'worth a shot' category. I have a handful of catasetinae from SVO, I've tried to stick with stuff that has a really strong hybridizing direction.

I think that is a very honest assessment. At least from a hybridizing perspective I would say this one falls within the 'worth a shot' category. I have a handful of catasetinae from SVO, I've tried to stick with stuff that has a really strong hybridizing direction.

I'm a big fan of novelty and oddball stuff. I'm an even bigger fan of intergeneric hybrids as well as primary hybrids, and most of all, I adore fragrant flowers. On paper, this was a perfect match for my tastes.

Back