Cattleya labiata pod (ready soon).

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David B

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Experience teaches - plan ahead.

So last October 2023, I bloomed this labiata dark pink (Dr. Leslie Ee plant) with a glamorous lip that draws your attention, highlighted by the dark pink petals and sepals that mirror the color of the lip margin. It was tagged as a concolor dark, but the lip marking likely precludes this. Taken to judging with two inflorescence, it was passed but spoken highly of. 2023 pic. below.
This year it now has 4 infl. in bloom but only 11 flowers, I believe this plant could receive a CCM or possible quality award in the future. It is also easily a plant that could win best cattleya species at a show if flowered well.
But to hybridizing now. The plant was selfed Nov.6/2023 and I harvest when the pod matures and starts to split. I am showing how I anticipate the pod becoming heavy, so that it gets it's own support stake and it's nutrient supply never becomes impeded allowing optimum seed production. The plant is flowering earlier than expected, but the vigor of the plant is superior leading me to put in the work necessary to grow and show it to it's potential. The flowers open slightly pale but darken within 3 days. Enjoy, the flowers fragrance is also superior, intense but pleasing. cheers.

Attachments

• labiata concolor 10. 23 db.jpg
    labiata concolor 10. 23 db.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 0
  • labiata 8-24 11on4 db.jpg
    labiata 8-24 11on4 db.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 0
  • labiata 8-24.jpg
    labiata 8-24.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 0
  • labiata 8-24  pod.jpg
    labiata 8-24 pod.jpg