Cattleya Nancy Off 'Linwood' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmoney

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of big white cattleya hybrids, and a few species, but I have to say this is my favorite. Got it for 50 bucks at a show from Waldor, a steal for an original division. And it has bloomed faithfully every year for me on the windowsill, and now every 8-9 months since moving into a greenhouse. Unlike my other whites, this one has always given me near perfectly shaped 8" flowers...well-deserving of its 89 point AM. Only knock is it doesn't seem that floriferous, but maybe one day I will get that 3rd flower. This is the cultivar formerly known as '1010'.

Attachments

• linwood1.jpg
    linwood1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • linwood2.jpg
    linwood2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
A couple of months ago, Greg Griffis, the orchid grower at Longwood Gardens gave a talk, and he mentioned that flower count in Cattleyas is related to amount of light they receive. More light, more flowers. One thing to keep in mind that the amount of light you get from full sun in the Northeast US is a lot less than full sun in Florida, or especially, Colombia.

I have a bunch of big white cattleya hybrids, and a few species, but I have to say this is my favorite. Got it for 50 bucks at a show from Waldor, a steal for an original division. And it has bloomed faithfully every year for me on the windowsill, and now every 8-9 months since moving into a greenhouse. Unlike my other whites, this one has always given me near perfectly shaped 8" flowers...well-deserving of its 89 point AM. Only knock is it doesn't seem that floriferous, but maybe one day I will get that 3rd flower. This is the cultivar formerly known as '1010'.
Definitely stunning in person. Really stands out.

A couple of months ago, Greg Griffis, the orchid grower at Longwood Gardens gave a talk, and he mentioned that flower count in Cattleyas is related to amount of light they receive. More light, more flowers. One thing to keep in mind that the amount of light you get from full sun in the Northeast US is a lot less than full sun in Florida, or especially, Colombia.
certainly that is true. however I have this under LED and it gets extremely bright light. bright enough that some of my cattleyas got "burnt" when I moved them, despite what I thought was proper calibration.

full sun will completely BURN standard cattleyas, whether it is Florida, or the Northeast in the summer months.

'Linwood' is known for not producing many flowers. award was given to a plant with 2 flowers. Waldor notes other cultivars of their signature white grex as more floriferous.

Latest posts

Back