Catyclia El Hatillo (Encyclia tampensis x C. mossiae)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a favorite Catyclia of mine, even though I don't grow one. And this is a lovely plant and flower! Congrats.

It's a cross between Encyclia tampensis and Cattleya mossiae, and just a plain ole interesting hybrid from that standpoint.

I've been contemplating for years whether I want to get this or Catyclia Leafhopper (El Hatillo x tampensis) and as of yet I still haven't made the decision.

Some questions for you: Is this one of the popular clones or is this a from a seedling population? And is it fragrant?

I ask about the fragrance because these intergeneric primary hybrids can be so unpredictable sometimes, even if both parent species are highly fragrant, the resulting offspring can be quite disappointing in that respect.

Last edited:
Very nice. Can we get a better photo of the growth habit of the plant?

I wonder if crossing some nice whites onto tampensis could produce something like this but with nice sprays of white flowers?

This is a favorite Catyclia of mine, even though I don't grow one. And this is a lovely plant and flower! Congrats.

It's a cross between Encyclia tampensis and Cattleya mossiae, and just a plain ole interesting hybrid from that standpoint.

I've been contemplating for years whether I want to get this or Catyclia Leafhopper (El Hatillo x tampensis) and as of yet I still haven't made the decision.

Some questions for you: Is this one of the popular clones or is this a from a seedling population? And is it fragrant?

I ask about the fragrance because these intergeneric primary hybrids can be so unpredictable sometimes, even if both parent species are highly fragrant, the resulting offspring can be quite disappointing in that respect.
GET BOTH then decide….

I would guess is a clone but will ask my source when I see her next.

Why decide? Get BOTH.

I think I’ll look for leafhopper my self…

Latest posts

Back