Cypripedium subtropicum 2 years on

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I reported last year (July 22, 2023) on initial success with Cypripedium subtropicum growing in a well-drained mix with low fertility and cool temperatures, never higher than 75°F. cxcanh’s important observations from nature supported this culture.
I am pleased to report a year later that the first plant is thriving, with a new growth sprouting in May now about 4 times the size of the initial growth. Another batch of seedlings was purchased from Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology yielding one vigorous seedling. One addition to the water this year is prescribed dilution of Kel-Pak growth stimulant every third watering. I am not prepared to say that is beneficial, but include it for completion.
The plant shows no sign of multiple leads, again consistent with all photos I’ve seen of plants in nature. The first growth continues green.

Attachments

• Cypripedium subtropicum IMG_0332.JPG
    Cypripedium subtropicum IMG_0332.JPG
    2.5 MB
  • Cypripedium subtropicum IMG_0333.JPG
    Cypripedium subtropicum IMG_0333.JPG
    2.1 MB
Thanks for the update, Clark.

I guarantee Kelpak will be beneficial, but to some degree, it depends upon how it is used.

The manufacturer recommends not applying it more often than every two weeks, nor more dilute than 1:500. In the 11-12 years I’ve been using the stuff, I’ve settled on double that dose at half that frequency (1:250, once a month).

Latest posts

Back