Fanaticum x malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Second time flowering for this plant.
The bud opening is much like malipoense. It looks pretty dry and dead and the whole process is painfully slow, but it keeps on developing.
It looks much better than last time, though, when one third of the dorsal was dry and white.
This time it is all the way green and doesn't look as bad.
Plus the petals show clear tessellation and darker than last year.

The best part is the improved fragrance.
It was barely scented a few weeks after the flower opened fully.

This one, still not even half way open, is already emitting some strong raspberry scent. It literally smells like when you open a jar of raspberry jam, well, with less sugar. lol

can't wait for fully open bloom! :)

Two days ago
CMEFLRIl.jpg

Today
LCEnZPUl.jpg

The dorsal will have character like Jay's Norito did. It looks to have crazy color combinations in a delightful way.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Looks dark! Can't wait to see it open. Can I see the foliage please? I have 2 of those. Hope they turn out as dark as this one!

I'll post later.
I had two of this and the other one was about half the size of this plant and the flower looked like malipoense, so this one is special. :)

The leaf is thicker, less undulating along the edges, has more green parts than malipoense, and very hard.
Also, the green part is raised compared to the white background.

The other plant of this cross I gave away last year, had micranthum patterns with wide leave like malipoense and zero undulation along the edge.

MD0ON4Rl.jpg

Here, the one on the right is of malipoense for comparison.
I have a few malipoense and they all pretty much look the same.

oznY2tvl.jpg

What do yours look like?

I love these leaves! :)

Last year when this was in bloom, there was already a good sized new fan, but nothing this time. Oh, well...

5RAQwiJl.jpg

The synsepal is split in two on this year's bloom. It looked like a snake when the bud was developing. lol

PmT01cHl.jpg

Ok! That's a really nice outcome for this cross! Though I am not hopeful for my two plants. Both have short and wider leaves that are a lot lighter green than yours. How big is that bloom? Hold on to that. That's really a lot better than I expected from this cross.

It's 11 cm, so I would say larger than average if we compare it to malipoense.
Both mine had very dark leaves, but given that this cross is 75% malipoense, I would assume most come out looking like malipoense whose leaves have a lot of silvery part usually.

This is very unique I think! :)

Latest posts

Back