Help with identifying cause of black/brown spots on Phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello just wanted to thank everyone for all the good information on this forum. Usually just lurk but wanted everyone’s thoughts on this. I received 2 Phrags in the mail 2 days ago and woke up this morning to see brown/black spots on many of the leaves. One had a few black spots when I got it but both have developed additional spots/discoloration. Both plants were in good shape when I got them, though it has been hot here ~90f so not sure if the heat impacted them during shipping. They have been inside at 70-74f since I got them. Should I be worried about this or doing anything to fix it?

Here are some photos of plant 1
IMG_9331.jpegIMG_9326.jpeg
IMG_9327.jpeg
IMG_9335.jpeg
Here is plant 2:
IMG_9323.jpegIMG_9318.jpegIMG_9340.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9322.jpeg
    IMG_9322.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It is quite an ordeal for plants to be wrapped up and shipped. This has happened to me on many an occasion. I even have lost leaves on the oldest growths here and there. I always credit it to the rigors of being wrapped up in a box.
I see you are in Georgia. To ship things to you during the very warm weather is somewhat troublesome. This is why I do not order anything when it is too hot here in Michigan or too cold during the winter. I guess I assume that the worse can happen. What if a package with an orchid inside sits for 6-8 hours in the hot sun? Completely accidental but no one can safeguard against that.
For me in the winter, there are stretches where it is below freezing for several days. I do not order anything perishable! Anything. Heat packs are no help really. I have unpacked orchids, with heat packs. They were sultry in the boxes. The packing was so good I lost a Phrag. this past year due the box warming up with the heat pack, condensation formed and a new lead rotted. The rot spread internally and it died. It was not replaceable from that vendor. Of course they returned my money but the plant was lost.

Latest posts

Back