henryanum #2

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really gorgeous flowers. Makes me wonder why I don't have this species in my collection. I assume it's not particularly difficult to grow, but maybe has some quirks, or am I completely off the mark on that? For such a spectacular flower, it seems like not enough people grow it.

Really gorgeous flowers. Makes me wonder why I don't have this species in my collection. I assume it's not particularly difficult to grow, but maybe has some quirks, or am I completely off the mark on that? For such a spectacular flower, it seems like not enough people grow it.
I was talking to Tim Culbertson a few months ago, neither of us could figure out why more people don't grow henryanum. He says it has never been a good seller at shows. Super easy to grow, distinctive, pretty much sums up a paph. Odd and pretty at the same time if you ask me.

I was talking to Tim Culbertson a few months ago, neither of us could figure out why more people don't grow henryanum. He says it has never been a good seller at shows. Super easy to grow, distinctive, pretty much sums up a paph. Odd and pretty at the same time if you ask me.
I think it's a few things:
- I showed it to a friend who only dabbles in orchids and he said: "That looks high-maintenance." It's a good point. Henryanum does not " look" like it should be easy.
- It's very easy to keep alive, but getting it to bloom & bloom well demands you observe its dormancy, which is intimidating for newbies.
- The good clones are amazing, but the bad ones, even the average ones, well...kinda suck lol.

I think it's a few things:
- I showed it to a friend who only dabbles in orchids and he said: "That looks high-maintenance." It's a good point. Henryanum does not " look" like it should be easy.
- It's very easy to keep alive, but getting it to bloom & bloom well demands you observe its dormancy, which is intimidating for newbies.
- The good clones are amazing, but the bad ones, even the average ones, well...kinda suck lol.
Hi there. Thanks for this. Can you elaborate on the dormancy? The same for other plants like holding back on watering and letting it experience lower night temperatures? I have two henryanum (different vendors) and although they are growing well there is no hint of a bloom.

Back