Light height/strength with inflorescences

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am scheming for another light this winter, and I want it to be high enough that I can put some of my bigger plants (Phrag Chuck Acker for instance, or my compact but still tall-blooming paph philippinense) under it while in sheath. I suppose the easiest thing would be to hang chains and thus I could adjust the light as needed for the time required during flowering. But about how high should it be? Or, how strong of a light will that require, being adequate while leaving space for flowers? My current light was a surprise from my husband for last Christmas, and things need to be about 3 inches away from it to have adequate light levels. It's a bit laughable, but works out in my tighter kitchen space with shelving and mostly small plants. The other light I am planning for obviously needs to be better than that!
I wonder if I spelled inflorescence right. 🤔😁

When I was growing under lights I was using a setup with four high output T12’s? (It’s been awhile), two cool white and two Gro-Lux wide spectrum. As I recall, that was a total of 440W hung about 18” above the bench. The bench was constructed with light supports on either end with holes that allowed me to raise or lower the lights in 2 or 3” increments. I was able to bloom stonei, parishii and other tall growing Paphs using this setup.

When I was growing under lights I was using a setup with four high output T12’s? (It’s been awhile), two cool white and two Gro-Lux wide spectrum. As I recall, that was a total of 440W hung about 18” above the bench. The bench was constructed with light supports on either end with holes that allowed me to raise or lower the lights in 2 or 3” increments. I was able to bloom stonei, parishii and other tall growing Paphs using this setup.
How wide was your bench? The space I have available is only about a foot wide, which is alright for now being that I don't have many large plants in my collection. Living in a travel trailer does create some limits. 😅

How wide was your bench? The space I have available is only about a foot wide, which is alright for now being that I don't have many large plants in my collection. Living in a travel trailer does create some limits. 😅
The bench was 8’L x 30”W. It was constructed out of redwood. The surface that the plants sat on was hardware cloth. It had a sheet of plastic (with a hole in the center and a bucket) draped underneath to catch the runoff when watering. Sorry, I know this information doesn’t help your situation much.

With your space limitations I think that a two tube fixture of the appropriate length would work for you if you have some way of raising and lowering the fixture.

The bench was 8’L x 30”W. It was constructed out of redwood. The surface that the plants sat on was hardware cloth. It had a sheet of plastic (with a hole in the center and a bucket) draped underneath to catch the runoff when watering. Sorry, I know this information doesn’t help your situation much.

With your space limitations I think that a two tube fixture of the appropriate length would work for you if you have some way of raising and lowering the fixture.
Thank you, that helps! I can visualize that. And your old design sounds excellent. One of these days when I'm back in a house and ready to build my orchid empire I'll remember it.

I decided on a 2.5x2 Spider Farmer SF300. I think it will work for my smaller space and seems like it will be high enough output for some bright light things at more of a distance! Some infographics from Spider Farmer:
Screenshot_20240909_171830_Amazon Shopping.jpg
1000032722.jpg
The search was a bit mind-boggling, so I hope I made the right choice.

I have successfully used the Spider SF600, the longer version of this light, consuming about 72 watts. My Apogee 500 series PAR filtered light intensity meter measures less than noted above by the company because they are probably measuring a broader spectrum of light. But, my measured 270 PPFD at 12 inches is strong enough for higher light intensity orchids such as Cattleyas. The 12 inches gives good headroom for caring for the orchids and accommodating most spikes. For intermediate-intensity orchids like the Phragmipedium you mentioned, you need between 100-150 PPFD, which will be 16-18 inches below the fixture. Most Paphs and Phals need even more height to reach 40-60 PPFD.

Latest posts

Back