Newly Arrived Habenaria Medusa!! Care Tips?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malipoense

Reaction score
I just got this in-spike habenaria medusa today and I'm so excited for the flowers to open! There's at least more than 5 buds on it. Ihave some pictures of the actual plant below. This is my first habenaria orchid. I know keeping these orchids alive is hard in winter, so I'm asking for some basic care tips so I don't kill it during the dormancy period. I fell in love with it after a local orchid society member brought in a blooming one for show. They said they always keep it in a small tray of water so it stays moist and never dries out. In the winter time during dormancy they said they only mist the pot once a month so the tuber doesn't desiccate, and when the new growth pops up in spring they gradually start watering more again. I assume that it needs partial sunlight, not direct sun.

I have seen many ways other people grow these online. Some don't keep them in trays of water while others do. During dormancy an expert habenaria grower named Sarah Hurdel likes to unpot the tubers and store them in little bags until spring arrives. Also, some various online sources and vendors say to never water them at all during dormancy, while others say to water every few weeks. Should I follow what my local orchid society member told me, or follow online sources from expert growers? Care information is quite different everywhere, so I'm asking on here for everyone else's opinion on how they grow theirs so I can properly care for it without murdering it😅

Also, will the spike stay curved like that or is it able to realign itself straight if I put it in a spot where the spike can move towards the light?

Attachments

• 20240819_153421.jpg
    20240819_153421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240819_153425(0).jpg
    20240819_153425(0).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240819_153449.jpg
    20240819_153449.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 0
When I grew this species, the easiest way for me to manage them with 100% dormancy survival in home conditions was to unpot the tubers after the growth fully died down, place them in a ziploc bag with wrung out sphagnum, and wait until they began sprouting. Mine did really well with a mix of 50/50 sphag/power grade orchiata and watered when evenly moist

Providing no water works only works if the humidity is high around the pot. Otherwise the tubers might desiccate. I am speaking from experience. Folks who provide no water are likely greenhouse growers with higher winter humidity. Follow the guidance of people who grow like you and have a similar growing environment. Zero water does not mean zero moisture.

Thank you all for this helpful information! I have high hopes of keeping this species alive now! I will post pictures when the buds open in a few weeks.

Sarah is super smart about Habenarias. She is to be trusted.

I have succeed with complete dryness after dormancy sets (fall and winter) and then standing in pure water during growth and flowering (spring and summer). I haven't used the baggie method, but just one look at her plants and you can tell that it works! Good luck. Mine is budding for the first time currently.

Update: Buds will start to open very soon!!

Attachments

• 20240909_185443.jpg
    20240909_185443.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240909_185429.jpg
    20240909_185429.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240909_185443.jpg
    20240909_185443.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back