• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Orchid zone rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Paph paradise is selling some Orchid Zone paph rothschildianum. Im not familiar with Orchid zone but bought one. Does anyone know the quality of this breeding? I have mostly Orchid inn rothschildianum and all the crosses I have bloomed have been quite similar and not what I'm looking for. I do have one in spike and hopefully will change that. 4 out of 12 have bloomed that I have from OI. Also does anyone know of any good sellers for rothschildianum? Dark color and beefy rounded flowers? Paph paradise is one but they said they have a while before releasing some of theirs

Mine arrived today from Paph Paradise! Just unpacked it.

This is the description of the plants for more context:
Paphiopedilum rothschildianum-blooming size seedlings from Orchid Zone breeding lines. A friend of mine bought some select plants from OZ cross Z7071 (‘Red Baron’ x ‘Mighty’) and made a sibling cross. There are no clonal names on the parents, but I know he spent big $$ to get some excellent specimens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB
Last edited:
I believe all of the good stuff that Dave has and that was at the OZ were from Rex x Mt Milais offspring sibling crosses. The plant you ordered should have very good potential but honestly I don't think sibling crossing sibling crosses from Rex x Mt Milais will actually lead to big improvements without adding new genetics. You may be able to get TON seedlings that have different genetics (eg Val x Mt Milais) but there are only so many jungle collected clones in the parentage of quality roths so that is important to keep in mind. Honestly if you look at award photos of the original Rex x Mt Milais AQ there have been improvements in color but not that much in terms of size and petal width. Tarantula is huge but has yet to prove to be a good breeder. Frank Smith also has high quality plants from but who knows if he will release anything. I think Dave had a flask on his list last year of one of his best crossed to one of Frank's best from different lines. That one could lead to some improvements down the road.

If I remember correctly, the Orchid Zone was run by Terry Root. He had built himself quite a reputation of being a quality breeder and grower. This is of course, what I am remembering from what, maybe 18 years ago, maybe longer. He was out west somewhere.
He was involved in Paphiopedilums and maybe other genera as well. He was big in slippers at that time along with Norito Hasegawa of Paphanatics.
I believe he sold a few times at the old Greater New York Shows back in the late 80’s through late 90’s.
I lost track of him because I really because I didn’t grow very many slippers back then.

It has a change to be really good, or at least decent. The last generation of OZ roths had some very nice ones, when John C. took over and was blooming them out, he felt a third of them were award quality. But he was looking at 100s---your odds in the real world are probably much lower.

Back