Paph Temptation 'LF Ron'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
kolopakingii x philippinense. Got it from Taylor Orchids when Ron closed up, and I think he had it for a long time. Maybe 20 years old?

It is multifloral season... This one has six flowers, pretty big. Not awarded today, it seems like the average flower count is seven. I'd counted seven this morning but evidently I'm not good at counting. Personally I think it is fairly impressive, but I'm not keen on the color. And it is a bit big for under lights.PXL_20240817_181258071.jpg

Might bring it to Dayton next week.
PXL_20240817_180745644.jpg

What is the biggest difference between these two species? Both, and especially this hybrid, look very philippinense to me!
Kolopakingii is a lot bigger plant than philippinense and has a much higher flower count per spike. That somewhat horizontal presentation (the spike goes up and then goes sideways) seems to be pretty typical for kolo. Twisty petals and deeper colors come from philippinense. Hybrid is easier to grow than either species, at least for me.

To be honest, the straight kolopakingii flowers don't really push my buttons. I'm pretty ambivalent about most of the primary hybrids I've seen. Other people may like it...

Kolopakingii is a lot bigger plant than philippinense and has a much higher flower count per spike. That somewhat horizontal presentation (the spike goes up and then goes sideways) seems to be pretty typical for kolo. Twisty petals and deeper colors come from philippinense. Hybrid is easier to grow than either species, at least for me.

To be honest, the straight kolopakingii flowers don't really push my buttons. I'm pretty ambivalent about most of the primary hybrids I've seen. Other people may like it...
Thank you!

It is lovely and large! Straight kolopakingii doesn't do a lot for me but I like it's contributions to hybrids. They are just too large for my space at the moment.

I do appreciate the awe factor of such a large plant.

Latest posts

Back