Please help! I'm such a klutz!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tempImageW55E6z.jpgtempImagen874Lq.jpgtempImagetwj8cu.jpgI'm hoping to send this first bloom seedling to an orchid show later in October. The flowers are opening quickly enough that I'm pretty sure there will be at least 3 fully open. Unfortunately I accidentally tore off one of the petals on the lower bloom, as you can see in the enclosed pictures. That particular flower is also a bit crooked and not quite right looking. There are five more buds above that lower one so I'm wondering if I should remove the lower bloom and hope that the remaining five will be open enough or should I send it to the show as is? What would you do? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. BTW the name of the plant is Paph. Haur Jih Isabel (Hung Sheng Eagle x sanderianum).

There is no way to hide your unfortunate mistake.
I am an AOS judge and here is what I/we think of when we see a spike with a missing flower. Why is it missing? Was it removed because of an accident like yours? Or was it removed due to bad form, color or another problem. We would pass on it and not consider it for an award no matter how good the other flowers are. It could have been because that blossom affected the flower presentation.
Your best bet is if there is ribbon judging, just enter it for a ribbon. It is a system with easier rules and less restrictions.
This of course depends upon if there is judging and by whom.

There is no way to hide your unfortunate mistake.
I am an AOS judge and here is what I/we think of when we see a spike with a missing flower. Why is it missing? Was it removed because of an accident like yours? Or was it removed due to bad form, color or another problem. We would pass on it and not consider it for an award no matter how good the other flowers are. It could have been because that blossom affected the flower presentation.
Your best bet is if there is ribbon judging, just enter it for a ribbon. It is a system with easier rules and less restrictions.
This of course depends upon if there is judging and by whom.
Thank you SO much, that is very useful information for me. I was leaning in that direction but didn't want to bring up my conundrum with the AOS judges I know here as they will likely be at the show. The show will have both ribbon and AOS judging so I'll send it along and see what happens. Hopefully the damaged petal can be staged in a way that won't draw so much attention to it - our ladies who do the out of town displays are geniuses!

Back