root problem

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xavier listed something similar as being boron/zinc deficiency related. Maybe could be that? I have never done his recommended ammonium nitrate boric acid calcium nitrate tank mix but maybe worth a try. Mancozeb does work great for me to green up plants for zinc/manganese

I think Tony might do a similar boron/calcium drench. Not sure if he can recommend ratios. I think it was on the pdf that’s online that Xavier wrote
Yes, Xavier said the same....but i had another problem related with this. After i gave boron , at adviced cc, symptoms did not disappear, it is ok after a short period, but leaves softened a bit....as intracellular tourgor preassure decreased ....

Interesting. Is it one subgroup of paphs only or several different kinds? Have you tried spraying with mancozeb/dithane?

Beyond that I don’t really have the knowledge. It’s maybe not directly related but I use kelpak monthly and get good roots that extend as long as I keep them moist. Maybe if you get some of that it could overpower this issue?

Using natural fertilizer like kelp or fish emulsion would be my best bet for an unknown deficiency

Last edited:
Interesting. Is it one subgroup of paphs only or several different kinds? Have you tried spraying with mancozeb/dithane?

Beyond that I don’t really have the knowledge. It’s maybe not directly related but I use kelpak monthly and get good roots that extend as long as I keep them moist. Maybe if you get some of that it could overpower this issue?

Using natural fertilizer like kelp or fish emulsion would be my best bet for an unknown deficiency
Deficiency is an interesting and difficult question.....if you give an element in high cc, can cause def. of another element.....eg. boron def. causes similar symptoms as ca def., however they are competitive antagonist parts for plants...if you give too much ca, can cause boron def. and vice versa....

I think we put too much on the shoulders of "nutrient deficiencies". Sure, a plant may look pale if undernourished, but slower-than-normal growth is far more common than other observable defects.

People seem to think that plants react quickly, but they generally don't, and what they have absorbed "today" might be sufficient for a long time.

I know an award-winning grower who feeds calcium nitrate on a routine basis, an N-P-K (only) product quarterly, and a soluble trace element mix once a year.

how high chelated zinc(/micros) were supplied?
Zn is particular essential to meristem & def. may also contribute to small new leaf(def. auxin) & it's more or less mobile from old leaf to new growth
while Mn tend to accumulate as leaf mature
In some cases, the root tips can have a brownish exudate, and stop growing. It is absolutely boron and zinc coupled deficiency, though this will not happen if the given schedule is followed....... The brown root tips are an oxidation process started by the lack of boron and zinc. It took me a couple of years to find out. It can be reverted if the feeding is
corrected.
written in the 2012 guideline, with my quick calculation the recipe goes to : Zn:0.227mg/L Mn:0.975mg/L Cu:0.255mg/L B:0.262mg/L Mo:0.093mg/L
--- somewhat higher than common one but not particular high compared with MSU/K-lite

The early roottip dismiss is regularly seen & I don't get a clear answer on it. Better to ask someone who get good roots even without the help of kelp which dose hormone to the root zone

&when were the medium last repotted?
sometimes I think the medium need to be changed in a regular matter because of exhaustion of sth....as I cannot really see the physical breakdown/detect the acidification of medium

Last edited:
brown part progress faster than the white root tip and root tip eventually give some mucus secretion, and then collapse. Short root sym. in paph always progress like this. Someone may tell you to cover the emerging roottip with moist mix......

Back