Roots--be careful what you wish for...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
I spent over half hour trying to loosen the root mass so I could divide it...It was impossible!!!! I had to pull it apart by force and lost/broke off more than half of the roots in the process. In the end, it was okay. All divisions have some roots and they will live. It was a job for sure! Perhaps I had waited too long to repot and divide the plant...

Attachments

• DSCN1513.JPG
    DSCN1513.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I think so too, Ray, but the plant was happy...
There was only very little bark mix left inside the root mass...and I have to cut the old pot open to get the plant out. Well, I won't let it happen again if I can....

I spent over half hour trying to loosen the root mass so I could divide it...It was impossible!!!! I had to pull it apart by force and lost/broke off more than half of the roots in the process. In the end, it was okay. All divisions have some roots and they will live. It was a job for sure! Perhaps I had waited too long to repot and divide the plant...
Did you soak it? Sometimes that helps, but paph roots seem so fragile compared to catts, etc.

Did you soak it? Sometimes that helps, but paph roots seem so fragile compared to catts, etc.
Watered a couple of times before I cut the pot. It all turned out okay in the end.
I bought this St. Swithin from a local commercial grower just before he went out of business-- 2 growth(division) for $100, back in 2006. I love this clone and it is a very strong grower. Originally, it was made with phil. var laevigatum by R J Rands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back