Wilsonara Tropic Breeze ‘Everglades’ in semi-hydro?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my plant that I got a couple months back. I unpoted it because it dried out too much. I decided to try semi-hydro with this. It is in a plastic net pot that goes into a plastic 3.5 gallon bucket 🪣. I used nylon rope to wick the water up into the leca clay balls. I will use ro water. I have done other oncidiums in semi-hydro before but am kinda worried this may not turn out. Has anyone done it? Also here are the roots: doesn't get much better than this. 20240807_175901.jpg20240807_175858.jpg

I picked up a few Oncidium inter-generics from a club member who was getting rid of his small orchid collection this past spring. At $10 each, I couldn't resist. Two were Miltassia's and one was a Brassia hybrid. I potted them up in plastic pots, clear, in a mix of 70% fine orchiata, fine charcoal and fine perlite. I water them a bit more often due to their fine root system like your images show. And they are doing great! All have good root growth and I am hoping for flowers on two this fall. The Brassia has already bloomed with 2 spikes with 23 colorful flowers.
Of course, grow them hydro if you want to but a fine mix works well. Just remember to water them.

ANY plant CAN be grown in semi-hydro culture, but that does not mean everyone can do so.

With any culture choice, one must understand how it interacts with the rest of the multitude of cultural parameters to meet the needs of the plant. Because of that and the variations between growers, what works well for one might not work at all for another.

I picked up a few Oncidium inter-generics from a club member who was getting rid of his small orchid collection this past spring. At $10 each, I couldn't resist. Two were Miltassia's and one was a Brassia hybrid. I potted them up in plastic pots, clear, in a mix of 70% fine orchiata, fine charcoal and fine perlite. I water them a bit more often due to their fine root system like your images show. And they are doing great! All have good root growth and I am hoping for flowers on two this fall. The Brassia has already bloomed with 2 spikes with 23 colorful flowers.
Of course, grow them hydro if you want to but a fine mix works well. Just remember to water them.
Thank you!!! Pictures of flowers???

Latest posts

Back