Wipe It Out

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

In our attempted to control/deter sqirrels, I thought we could use a thread related to eradicating other undesirables!

#1. Has anyone found anything effective in killing that wonderful mustard weed plant that's running wild? I have easement areas bordering my property so hand pulling is not much of an option.

#2. Old fashion tiger lilies - any way to get rid of them? There's area I don't mind them in but I'd like to eliminate them from a walkway around a small pond.

Rose,

1). I personally don't mind the wild mustard. I assume that a controlled burn is out of the question in your area?

2). Offer them for free to anyone willing to dig them up themselves!

Best Regards,
Nik

Aren't lilies very easy to rot from overwatering??? Also, niks idea is great!!! Or dig them up and offer them!!! You could get some orchids...:D

The "mustards" in my area (Aliaria petiolata and Barbarea spp.) that are invasive respond best to pulling over a year or two if the area is suitable for doing so. Not sure burning will work on these ones.

Wild mustard is considered an invasive weed here. While it doesn't look offensive at all it chokes out native species.
The only way I know to get rid of it is to pull it (like cdub said), but do this before the flowers have turned into pods...and ALWAYS before the pods turn brown or you'll endup scattering the seeds allover.

Grr Tiger lillies. I'll be keeping my eye on this post for good ideas!

I have mustard in the garden this year...didn't plant it...it just blew in from who knows where. I guess I need to put on the gloves and start pulling. Sprayed it with Roundup about two weeks ago but that just seemed to make it stronger. :mad:

Tiger Lilies...send them to me. I love 'em.

Thought I'd give a try, hoping there were secret weapons.
The mustard is so invasive and it's all over, I could spend days pulling it & not get ahead. I'm mowing some of it down just to try to keep it from going to seed. Seeing I live in a residential area, burning is out of the question. A couple of people I know have tried straight Roundup & it didn't nothing.
If you enjoy digging up tiger lillies in gravel - come & get them! I'm about to put down an aggregate gravel/concrete walkway! Anything that's been around as long as they have I'm afraid is here to stay!:(

Tiger lilies or daylilies? I've never found tiger lilies a problem (beyond their being a reservoir for viruses), but I can see wild daylilies as an issue...the flower buds do taste good in stir-fries though....

For the mustard, hand pulling repeatedly in one season to control small patches or sensitive areas. For large stands use and herbicide - this is how most natural resource departments deal with invasive annuals and perennials in bulk. Of course surrounding infested areas will always bring in more seed...

I too didn't realize that tiger lilies were a problem - I'm guessing you mean the Asian plant rather than the native. I guess they can spread via those tiny bulb lets that are made on the leaf axises.

Tiger lilies or daylilies? ...... but I can see wild daylilies as an issue...the flower buds do taste good in stir-fries though....
Good question! They are commonly referred to as Tiger Lilies, why I'm not sure? The common orange with black spots that have been around for decades .... probably wild daylilies.

For the mustard, hand pulling repeatedly in one season to control small patches or sensitive areas. For large stands use and herbicide - this is how most natural resource departments deal with invasive annuals and perennials in bulk. Of course surrounding infested areas will always bring in more seed...

I too didn't realize that tiger lilies were a problem - I'm guessing you mean the Asian plant rather than the native. I guess they can spread via those tiny bulb lets that are made on the leaf axises.

I'll have to check out herbicides. I would think Preen should prevent the new seed from going any further. I have a large hosta bed/shade garden under some spruces that the mustard has exploded in, so much for making my high maintanence yard less!

These have to be the natives, no bulbs, but leave one little bit of root & they'll be back!

Did a little searching, here's what I'm finding -
from Missouri Dept. of Conservation - "Research by Victoria Nuzzo indicates that cutting flowering stems at ground level results in 99% mortality, while cutting at 4 inches (10 cm) above ground level produces 71% mortality and reduces total seed production by 98%. Plants cut near ground level when in full flower usually do not resprout. Viable seed may be produced after stems are cut: pending further research, cut stems should be removed from the site when possible."
Seeds require a 20mos. dormancy period & germinate the 2nd spring after ripening!

http://www.ipm.msu.edu/garlicMge.htm

Roundup is supposedly effective at the rosette stage and should not be sprayed so heavily that it produces runoff! ... and it's going to kill off desirable plants, which makes it easier for the dormant seeds!

It's a nightmare - there's no end!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to cut the stems this week...I can just see the flower heads starting. Stupid mustard!