Advice for Resurrecting an Orchid Society Library From Cold storage

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have decided to try and dust off our local Orchid Society's library from cold storage and resurrect it for our members to use. I feel like many societies may be in the same position, with a waning membership there are less hands to go around to manage hard copy orchid books and this perk has fallen by the waist side as more important society tasks are addressed. Resurrecting our library is a Fall/Winter goal of mine and I am just now starting to research different approaches before I even touch the boxes of books in the storage unit. In my option this is one of the most treasured resources for new and experienced growers, as I recall thumbing through our hard copy library when I fist joined the society years ago.

Are there others out there in the same boat? Or have recently tried to harness the latest technology (library apps, databases, online spreadsheets) to more efficiently bring some of these treasures back into circulation for their membership?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear your experience. My initial thought is to be able to take a picture of the book with my phone, scan it's ISBN number, have it crawl online and populate the basics of the book .. then populate the entry with summaries and status if the book is 'On Loan' or 'checked in'. I feel like the technology is there for this now. There look to be a number of apps or web based options to use but wanted to see if anyone has had experience specifically with a library app that is best for sharing with other members. I'm open to all suggestions, even down to methods used with a basic spreadsheet. Maybe google sheets is the way to go.

So far I am looking into Tiny Cat. As well as other phone based App options.

Thanks for your input.

Pete

I belong to two societies here in Michigan and within the last 2 years, they have sold off their orchid libraries. Why?
They take up storage space. Sometimes loads of space.
Some societies have a Librairian who volunteers to bring them back and forth to a meeting. That has become a pain in the butt. Plus usage by members is pretty small.
Why are libraries a thing of the past? The internet is the answer.
Hardly anyone read books, magazines or newspapers.

We at MOS Michigan Orchid Society sold off the last 20 or so volumes at our last orchid show in March. Most brought pennies on the dollar.
And let’s face it, prior to the internet, books gave us information quickly. Now, so many of the old, classic orchid books are, 25, 30 or 40 years old. Information changes, new growing methods are in use.
It was the same thing in SW Florida and 16 years ago on Long Island.

I belong to two societies here in Michigan and within the last 2 years, they have sold off their orchid libraries. Why?
They take up storage space. Sometimes loads of space.
Some societies have a Librairian who volunteers to bring them back and forth to a meeting. That has become a pain in the butt. Plus usage by members is pretty small.
Why are libraries a thing of the past? The internet is the answer.
Hardly anyone read books, magazines or newspapers.

We at MOS Michigan Orchid Society sold off the last 20 or so volumes at our last orchid show in March. Most brought pennies on the dollar.
And let’s face it, prior to the internet, books gave us information quickly. Now, so many of the old, classic orchid books are, 25, 30 or 40 years old. Information changes, new growing methods are in use.
It was the same thing in SW Florida and 16 years ago on Long Island.

Thank you for the input. The sale of the collection came up at our last board meeting. I agree to some extent. Especially for the orchid magazines, which have been largely digitized and beyond my scope.

However, the genus specific books I feel are priceless and worth one more shot at preserving before we dissolve the collection.

Plans are to have the collection reside
In my personal home, with the catalog available online to members. Check books in and out .. checked out books carted as needed to the meetings.

I would like to hear input from others that have had success and failures using technology as leverage for this task.

Thanks!

Speaking as a retired librarian, I have to wonder if anyone will use such books.

One option might be to see if your local public library would add the materials to their collection and manage it.

If you want to see the cataloging record librarians use, check out Worldcat.

Simple spreadsheet might work, and shelve by author?

Harvey

Sepos liquidated our library 10 or so years ago when we left the last venue with a permanent closet where it was setup like a library (ya, it was a big closet).

I understand the perceived value, but if you are offering it as a product to your membership, consider who will both value it AND use it.

I was in that category of someone that valued it and used it…. And now have a very nice personal library, care of Sepos selling off theirs. ;-).

No one yet has asked to borrow anything I purchased.

The New Mexico Orchid Guild lost most of its library to an unscrupulous librarian some years ago.
The remaining volumes remain in storage as few members took advantage of them.
I will come into possession of an extensive orchid library in the near future. However the current owner was
a heavy smoker and..................any way to fumigate hardbound books?

Back