Best orchid show in Florida to find rare Phals and Paphs?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best show in Florida for rare Paph and Phal species

• Tamiami International Orchid Festival

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Redland International Orchid Festival

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • The Fort Lauderdale Orchid Society's annual show

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Some of the largest orchid gatherings in Florida were orchid events, not necessarily shows.
My number one event when I lived there was the Redlands Orchid Festival held every May at the Homestead Fruit and Spice Park south of Miami. It is heavily advertised and promoted. Vendors come in not only locally but internationally. So your Phalaenopsis chances are very good there.
In January is the Tamiami Orchid Festival every year. It is held in south Miami near Florida International University I think. That too is on line with loads of information.
Krull-Smith hosts at least one big Orchid Event every year at their facility in Apopka, Florida. You can always check their website for information. All of these events can always be found in ORCHIDS magazine and on the AOS, American Orchid Society web page under the events calendar.
Every thing else is quite small in comparison. These shows below typically have only 4 to 6 vendors, none internationally, all local.
I judged at these shows every year starting in early January
Sarasota OS early January
Venice OS early February
Naples OS late February
Gulf Coast Orchid Alliance typically in March
I understand that the Englewood Show is no more.
There is a show every year in Largo Florida up by St. Petersburg in the fall.
Everglades Orchid Society Show, Tampa Bay Orchid Society Show, Tampa Bay Orchid Club Show. These are found on the AOS "Events page" @ aos.org

But dollar for dollar, the Redlands Festival is the absolute BEST!!!!! You will think that you have died and gone to Orchid Heaven.

Some of the largest orchid gatherings in Florida were orchid events, not necessarily shows.
My number one event when I lived there was the Redlands Orchid Festival held every May at the Homestead Fruit and Spice Park south of Miami. It is heavily advertised and promoted. Vendors come in not only locally but internationally. So your Phalaenopsis chances are very good there.
In January is the Tamiami Orchid Festival every year. It is held in south Miami near Florida International University I think. That too is on line with loads of information.
Krull-Smith hosts at least one big Orchid Event every year at their facility in Apopka, Florida. You can always check their website for information. All of these events can always be found in ORCHIDS magazine and on the AOS, American Orchid Society web page under the events calendar.
Every thing else is quite small in comparison. These shows below typically have only 4 to 6 vendors, none internationally, all local.
I judged at these shows every year starting in early January
Sarasota OS early January
Venice OS early February
Naples OS late February
Gulf Coast Orchid Alliance typically in March
I understand that the Englewood Show is no more.
There is a show every year in Largo Florida up by St. Petersburg in the fall.
Everglades Orchid Society Show, Tampa Bay Orchid Society Show, Tampa Bay Orchid Club Show. These are found on the AOS "Events page" @ aos.org

But dollar for dollar, the Redlands Festival is the absolute BEST!!!!! You will think that you have died and gone to Orchid Heaven.
I couldn't ask for a better response thanks!

just to add to the above,

Tamiami is a redlands clone

Frank Smith hosts the International paph and vanda symposium in the fall and the International Phalaenopsis Alliance is (apparently) combining their yearly event into that same weekend at Franks in Apopka...

Back