Paphiopedilum spicerianum x tigrinum 'Ifield' AM/RHS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipperphotographer

Reaction score
I bought this plant as a division from a fellow grower 3 or 4 years ago and this is the second time it's flowered for me. I've share this photo with other growers and on my social media pages, and it's generated a wide range of comments. Some think I should get of it, others say they think it's beautiful. I like it. I think the earthy colouration and markings are really striking. I understand it came from Sam at Orchid Inn many years ago.

It's a cross I've not seen anywhere else, so would be interested to know if anyone else has it.

Attachments

• DSC_2500-Edit-Edit.jpg
    DSC_2500-Edit-Edit.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 1
Objectively speaking, it's not a hybrid with the typical mass appeal characteristics such as flat flowers, round shapes, wide segments, "pretty" colors, etc. So I get why some folks might find it objectionable. And really, if Paph. tigrinum were easier to grow (for home growers), more widely available, and hybrids were plentiful, then I bet this hybrid probably wouldn't garner a lot of attention one way or the other.

On a personal note, I like the flower. It's perhaps attractive-ugly if that makes sense? I appreciate muddy and earthy tones, especially when there's a bit of contrast, such as with the white on the sepals and the green undertones. I also love spots. Because tigrinum hybrids are rarely seen in flower (at least for me), that probably adds to the appeal. It's not so much that it's rare, per se, just that I don't see something like this every day, so it's got a good degree of novelty going for it. Plus, it does have a good mix of the interesting features and charm from both parents.

Now, I personally wouldn't buy one unless it was cheap, but if I already had this in my collection, I'd consider the people telling me to get rid of it to be crazy. They may be right, but crazy none the less.

And as an aside, this type of breeding seems more like a stepping stone than a destination. Perhaps it's merely a novelty cross, just because it could be done. Perhaps it could be used to enhance the spots on spotted complex Paphs while also preserving the central stripe in the dorsal sepal and petals?

Objectively speaking, it's not a hybrid with the typical mass appeal characteristics such as flat flowers, round shapes, wide segments, "pretty" colors, etc. So I get why some folks might find it objectionable. And really, if Paph. tigrinum were easier to grow (for home growers), more widely available, and hybrids were plentiful, then I bet this hybrid probably wouldn't garner a lot of attention one way or the other.

On a personal note, I like the flower. It's perhaps attractive-ugly if that makes sense? I appreciate muddy and earthy tones, especially when there's a bit of contrast, such as with the white on the sepals and the green undertones. I also love spots. Because tigrinum hybrids are rarely seen in flower (at least for me), that probably adds to the appeal. It's not so much that it's rare, per se, just that I don't see something like this every day, so it's got a good degree of novelty going for it. Plus, it does have a good mix of the interesting features and charm from both parents.

Now, I personally wouldn't buy one unless it was cheap, but if I already had this in my collection, I'd consider the people telling me to get rid of it to be crazy. They may be right, but crazy none the less.

And as an aside, this type of breeding seems more like a stepping stone than a destination. Perhaps it's merely a novelty cross, just because it could be done. Perhaps it could be used to enhance the spots on spotted complex Paphs while also preserving the central stripe in the dorsal sepal and petals?
Thank you for taking the time to put together a very considered response. I really appreciate it...and agree with everything you say! 'Attractive-ugly' very much makes sense, and could be applied to number of orchids in my collection!

It represents both parents well, but for sure, it is nothing like its beautiful parents. "Attractive Ugly" sums up my feelings about this hybrid as well.

Latest posts

Back