Blooming brachys

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first of my small brachy collection are beginning to bloom.

The one with two blooms came from Darlene last year: Paph godefroyae.

The other two are from Krull-Smith: Paph Jim Krull which are Jennifer Reinoso (one is ‘Black Knight’ the other ‘Frank’s cup of tea’) x leuchochilum ‘Jordan Winter’

Any tips on staking? I’ve searched high and low for small metal stakes but everyone seems to be out of stock. I finally resorted to bamboo skewers:)

Attachments

• 533E7F9C-ED5D-46A6-B03C-19EF5B247C22.jpeg
    533E7F9C-ED5D-46A6-B03C-19EF5B247C22.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 003D53BE-8E06-4564-A248-FC5ECBCDB7A1.jpeg
    003D53BE-8E06-4564-A248-FC5ECBCDB7A1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bamboo skewers are an unsung hero of plant staking. Cheap, disposable, and just the right size for small plants. I use them all the time. You can cut them down with pruners...

Any tips on staking? I’ve searched high and low for small metal stakes but everyone seems to be out of stock. I finally resorted to bamboo skewers
Make your own! Hardware stores sell galvanized wire, you’ll want about 16AWG. Cut a 6-8ft. length and clamp one end in a vice or to other immovable object. Clamp the other end in the chuck of a variable speed drill. While putting tension on the wire give the drill a short blip. This should straighten and slightly work-harden the wire. Cut to appropriate length and bend to shape desired. Make sure to wear safety glasses during this procedure! Any number of things can be used to form the bends.

Make your own! Hardware stores sell galvanized wire, you’ll want about 16AWG. Cut a 6-8ft. length and clamp one end in a vice or to other immovable object. Clamp the other end in the chuck of a variable speed drill. While putting tension on the wire give the drill a short blip. This should straighten and slightly work-harden the wire. Cut to appropriate length and bend to shape desired. Make sure to wear safety glasses during this procedure! Any number of things can be used to form the bends.

Great idea. Thanks!

Back