Bulbophyllum mastersianum 'CAD's Scarlet Umbrella' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David B

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This bulbophyllum unexpectedly earned an 83point AM for me in a recent Central Ontario Orchid Show, September 28th. This post is so as not to piggyback on the very recent bulbophyllum medusae post, but I felt I had some culture guidance to offer. There are times when growing bulbophyllum, that we are discouraged not to see bloom when a plant has achieved blooming size. This plant was examined and I saw that it had attempted to send out a few slender inflorescence, but that they had aborted and were desiccated and brittle. The humidity in the greenhouse is usually sufficient, but when inflorescences started to be produced, I intervened. I placed a hygrometer close to the plant and at least once daily misted with distilled water to keep the inflorescence progressing. Nature is cruel, and 3 days before the show a *#^& mouse bit off two of the inflorescence leaving just one. The lone inflorescence survived (the mouse did not) and I received an unexpected call requiring a clonal name. The NS of the 10 flowers is 1.9 x 4.2, and that along with color saturation and arrangement led to success. Lesson learned is with bulbophyllum, observe the plant closely, and try to determine a course of action that will benefit the plant flowering close to optimum. Cheers.

Attachments

• mastersianum wide.PNG
    mastersianum wide.PNG
    836.7 KB
  • mastersianum.PNG
    mastersianum.PNG
    984.9 KB
  • mastersianum mouse.jpg
    mastersianum mouse.jpg
    489.1 KB

Latest posts

Back