Cattleya mendelli ‘herrenhausen’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1755.jpegIMG_1757.jpeg
Easily the best blooming of this plant I bought from Hilmar several years ago, and on its second growth of the year. It must be finally settling in to the grow room. The first growth didn’t produce a sheath. It’s one that’s grown ok in the past but never thrived and the flowers have been average. This did receive a SM/DOG at one point so it has potential.

Thanks istavan. I’ve checked back at previous flowerings and so far it’s always been in the autumn. The growth phase has always been spring and/or summer. So the closest species with this way of growing would be labiata. It doesn’t look like labiata!

So my feelings towards mendelii are mixed. I find the flower form lacking advancement in the species, so in line breeding any advancement may have to be hard won. Focus on the improvement of petal size and form would be significant. However, I find that mendelii has strength as it is somewhat vigorous as a grower and blooms unhindered, and seems not to attract pest or infection even when others around it need to be treated. Flower longevity is good, and division and repotting seems only a minor setback to this species. The large plant of Dr.Ee below was divided into 2 plants and both are progressing well. I would recommend the species to most growers as it's difficulty level is low. Cheers.

Attachments

• mendelii 2023 db.jpg
    mendelii 2023 db.jpg
    416.5 KB
  • mendelii bb.jpg
    mendelii bb.jpg
    303.7 KB

Latest posts

Back