Could you help me identifying the paphs?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoPhal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have small paphs arrived with single root the media is Seramis and orchid pon/sphagnum moss. I used some canna products with plastic bag for several weeks(kelpak is arriving from Holland).
They look ok , I think one is javanicum?!
I reed that the Paph s don’t need misiting?IMG_0505.jpegIMG_0504.jpegIMG_0503.jpeg

First one is a Phalaenopsis. Second one is a Paphiopedilum, though. I don't think anybody can positively ID these without clear photos of the flowers (once they bloom), so it'll just be guesses. My guess is that the Phalaenopsis is a hybrid.

I knew it, 10x, a lot! And do you mist the Paph?

Indoors, I do not and I usually advise against it.

I avoid misting my indoor orchids and instead focus on increasing the humidity around the plants via other means, like via the use of a humidifier. However, opinions and experiences will vary. Keep in mind, what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

Generally, I try to avoid splashing water on my slipper orchids especially, since that's a prime way to spread/promote numerous different pathogens. I generally only spray them when I'm applying some type of treatment, like copper spray, foliar feeding, or physan.

Misting isn't inherently bad, if you have a small collection, little or no existing pathogens in your collection, overall good, clean conditions, healthy plants, and your plants always dry off quickly after being sprayed, then you may never encounter any issues.

On the other hand, misting indoors to improve humidity may not be as useful as you might expect. It will provide a temporary boost and often large boost in humidity, but within a relatively short time frame, humidity will usually return to where it was before. Rapid shifts in conditions like this may not offer much in the way of benefit to the plants, and has the potential, however small, to be harmful. So that's my rationale for my opinion, it basically comes down to risk versus reward.

Outdoors plants are a different matter. I don't mist those for humidity though, I mist those for temperature control (i.e. cooling down plants when it's super hot). That's typically not an issue indoors (at least not for me).

My guess on the first 2 images are Phalaenopsis schilleriana or a hybrid there of. Mottled leaves and a purple hue to the underside of the leaves.
38% humidity? You will have to get that up to 50% or a bit more if you can. Misting to raise humidity is not really effective because the rise in humidity is fleeting as the increase is absorbed by the surrounding lower humidity within the remainder of the rooms.

Thank you for your guidance, indeed the humidity in my flat is low, the only way to rise is to using humidity trays with leca. Unfortunately humidifiers is not possible to use at home.
I know misting is not the way to rise humidity. I’m using some orchid sprays form ( christal, growth technology etc) 2 or 3 times weekly. The phals are doing great. Probably I did not formulate my question correctly. Thank you again for the help!

Depending on your living conditions if you live in. An apt the cheapest and simplest way to raise humidity is to take showers and not close the door.

My humidity level usually increase to around 70% near the plants and windows

Another option is to just leave lots of glasses of water near where the plants are. If you have enough plants, that area will create a micro-climate. The water will evaporate and with enough plant expiration it will increase the humidity slightly

Hi, thank you for the ideas. Unfortunately from 2 months we are facing period without rain and the bathroom is always open but withouts effect.
I”ll try with glasses.
The funny thing is that my cactuses and succulents are thriving like never. They are slow growers:)

Latest posts

Back