Cymbidium Chen's Ruby

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a name like "Chen's Ruby" I expect a red flower. Though, the red pattern on yellow is enough to get it a like.

Do these need a cool period to initiate flowering? Do you have whole-plant photos that give an impression of the size of the plant? Any fragrance?

Very nice. Good growing!

With a name like "Chen's Ruby" I expect a red flower. Though, the red pattern on yellow is enough to get it a like.

Do these need a cool period to initiate flowering? Do you have whole-plant photos that give an impression of the size of the plant? Any fragrance?

Very nice. Good growing!

My experience with this hybrid is limited, but I do grow one. My plant hasn't bloomed yet, but it was a rescue that's taken awhile to start shaping up.

From what I gathered before I bought my plant, the flowers are quite fragrant. Which makes sense as both parents are highly fragrant. And these do not need a significant temperature drop or prolonged winter cool spell to bloom. I think they bloom mostly towards the end of summer or in the fall, though they can bloom in the spring as well and are even capable of blooming more than once per year once they get some age on them.

The person I bought mine from said that it did not perform well in their cool/cold climate. My experience so far suggests that it does appreciate nice, warm temperatures and plenty of water during its growing season.

Size of the foliage will be dependent on which cultivars were used in the parentage, but for the most part, these are going to be a noticeable step up in size compared to the most common Jensoa species (ex: ensifolium, sinense). Chen's Ruby is sometimes described as miniature/compact. If it's like most of the other intersectional Jensoa hybrids, a common feature is that they start blooming at an early age even though the bulbs and foliage are smaller than on a fully mature plant. I've seen this quite a bit since these are some of my favorite types of Cymb hybrids, they start out small, but eventually get to be fairly large growing after a few years with leaves that are a meter or longer (3+ feet). However, vendors who have only handled first bloom plants will likely have a different perspective than folks who've grown the plants into impressive specimens as Calvin has done.

I'll be interested in seeing/hearing from Calvin on his plant.

Back