Daylily seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I like daylilies but have never gotten into the addiction side of things with them, which may be for the best. The fragrant varieties are my thing and the classic daylily fragrance is one of my favorites. It's so beautiful. I also appreciate the fact that the flowers are edible. It's a pretty pleasant taste, like iceberg lettuce, light and refreshing, especially when it's hot.

I have one that's almost spot on for the flower in your first photo (20240710_091525). I'm not sure if it has a varietal name or not. It's not super fragrant, but it does have a bit of scent. The only downside (at least in my growing conditions) is that this variety only blooms for a month or so in late spring or early summer so it's not one of the types with a long blooming season.

One of my orchid mentors (now long gone) was a daylily breeder. He would make crosses in Michigan and send them to a friend in Texas to grow for a year or two - they grow twice as fast in Texas evidently. But Michigan is mostly perfect for daylily growing - we have wild ones in every ditch.

I used to have dozens of varieties, now I have maybe two or three. I need to get some more.

I went through a daylily craze about 35 years ago. In fact, the yellow one that you have pictured is one that I fell in love with and is in bloom in my yard right now. Quite the opposite of orchids! Once they’re in the ground, they look after themselves beautifully. Except that they have to be divided and mine have been divided and shared so many times that now the whole neighborhood is full of them.

I began collecting daylilies when I was a kid. Started hybridizing at 12, continued for about 15 years. The plants above are seedlings from the tail end of that time period. The bed is horribly overgrown and I don't know if there are even still tags in the ground. At the peak of my collection I had probably 1500 cultivars and 10,000 seedlings

Back