Flask Challenge

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received this flask of Paph Grandtrix from Tokyo Orchid Nursery (TON) last week. The flask was quite large especially for TON. The challenge is that the seedling have been in the flask too long and are leggy and large.

What are your best tips for leggy flasks? With phrags I remove some of the lower leaves and pot a little deeper. Sometime I do this all at once. Sometime I do it little by little. Brachys can be so fragile that I am a bit nervous.

20240725_200349.jpg20240725_200359.jpg20240726_202524.jpg20240726_202810.jpg20240726_202814.jpg20240726_205304.jpg
20240727_071654.jpg

Looks like you did exactly as I would have. Truthfully, they don't look overly leggy to me. If need be you can always put a little sphagnum moss on top if you feel a need to.

I also just received two flasks from TON. Mine are charlesworthii, and a complex pink. I was lucky in that my flasks were hand carried to the east coast for me so they were not jumbled nor were they opened.

I get my TON list from Tim Culbertson of Oceanside Orchids in California. Usually there are Two lists per year. TON was supposed to bring these here in May but didn’t come at that time, so not sure if TON will hand carry any here in the fall. Prices pretty much are $250 to $500 per flask of 15. I’m guessing there still will be a fall winter list. If preordered TON also brings over division that pretty much run from $200 to as high as $5,000.

Last edited:
Darlene, I went with (Snow Tiger x Ice Age) ‘Dominas’ x Stone Lovely ‘Shrex’ as these have already proven themselves as great breeders. It appears that we chosen the same cross. Tim guided me in this decision. If I had known you had that cross I wouldn’t have bought it and purchased a few from you. We need to talk more.

They look great from flask and not jumbled. It can be difficult separating the root mass but they will be fine even with a bit of root damage.

Latest posts

Back