Hab Season Begins! Pectabenaria Ptarmigan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 habenaria at home but they are growing so slow. What are your culture secrets for growing them?

What media mix do you use? How much light? Temperature and fertilizer?

I've been growing Habenarioids for many years and have over 40 varieties (both species and hybrids) doing well now. Over half are from Sarah, Leon, and Joel. They enjoy our hot, humid Baltimore summers on a bench that gets full sun in the morning. The potting mix is roughly 1:1:1 ProMix MXHP:Espoma Soil Perfector:Turface. I top-dress them with crushed granite to keep mix from splashing on the stems and scatter some Osmocote Plus on top at the beginning of the season before they sprout. NEVER LET THEM DRY OUT WHEN THEY ARE IN ACTIVE GROWTH. They stay out until danger of frost in the autumn, then moved into the greenhouse only long enough for the foliage to yellow, then into the cool, dry basement for their winter rest.
Habenarioids sm.jpg

I've been growing Habenarioids for many years and have over 40 varieties (both species and hybrids) doing well now. Over half are from Sarah, Leon, and Joel. They enjoy our hot, humid Baltimore summers on a bench that gets full sun in the morning. The potting mix is roughly 1:1:1 ProMix MXHP:Espoma Soil Perfector:Turface. I top-dress them with crushed granite to keep mix from splashing on the stems and scatter some Osmocote Plus on top at the beginning of the season before they sprout. NEVER LET THEM DRY OUT WHEN THEY ARE IN ACTIVE GROWTH. They stay out until danger of frost in the autumn, then moved into the greenhouse only long enough for the foliage to yellow, then into the cool, dry basement for their winter rest.
View attachment 48279
Thank you. I live in Indiana and let the plant stay outside. It gets decent morning from the east and then not much light in the afternoon.

Is it okay to leave some water at the bottom of the pot? How much water should they receive? Approximately same amount as paph and phrag? Or even more?

Mine is 1 Habenaria Medusa, 1 habenaria dentata and habenaria jiaho.

When I say keep some water, I mean like just around 0.5cm of water at the bottom. Would they be okay. Because they substrate I used are a bit more airy and doesn't retain as much water as your substrate mix

Latest posts

Back