I m so excited #2

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old is the plant / how long have you been growing it?

I purchased a seedling from Sunset Valley Orchids here in the USA a couple of years ago. I doubt it's large enough to bloom, but I have actually seen a stonei in bloom that was not much larger than my current plant. Anyway, I'm still trying to gauge how much longer I might have to wait.

Also, just curious if there are any tips or changes you made that you attribute to your new found success.

I acquired one from a grower here. In my experience, they appear to take a long time to build up enough mass and phytochemical resources to be "comfortable" enough to expend them on reproduction, but once they get there, they're pretty regular.

Hi, nice Paph ‘ s really love them.
Right know l’ m experimenting with rockwool - Gordon. I replanted a few pals but the media is too much water retentive, I think they will rot. Probably l made a mistake not to use rockwool cut in cubes but by hand I pick several pieces to put in the pot. I treat the media with some hydroponic additives, for roots and enzymes.
Could you, pls, if my approach is ok or should change sth.
Growing conditions- indoors. Humidity is about 40- 50 % and the temp is 25-26 degrees Celsius in the room.
Much appreciate your help.

Hi, nice Paph ‘ s really love them.
Right know l’ m experimenting with rockwool - Gordon. I replanted a few pals but the media is too much water retentive, I think they will rot. Probably l made a mistake not to use rockwool cut in cubes but by hand I pick several pieces to put in the pot. I treat the media with some hydroponic additives, for roots and enzymes.
Could you, pls, if my approach is ok or should change sth.
Growing conditions- indoors. Humidity is about 40- 50 % and the temp is 25-26 degrees Celsius in the room.
Much appreciate your help.
Your house humidity is 40-50% or in a greenhouse? Anyway, add coarse perlite or leca to have air spaces.

Yep, that’s right. My regime is that Saturday I repotted the mini phals in rockwool and that thing is absorbing so much water that tomorrow I will repot again in bark. Probably that media should be added in small cubes 10 % with bark cause it’s impossible to dry at home. Maybe just spraying several times was enough. Thanks for guidance!

Was this inspired by Xavier? He grows them magnificently as I was just there in his GH. Will do a separate post after,
IMG_20240617_132108.jpgYes, and works but there are few things need to be careful about rockwool. My experience that rw can dry out fast but can take up a lot of water suddenly. Because of that salt cc can build up fast in the rw and because of that cc of outflowing water should be controlled regulary, i do that once per month. If it is higher than 500 uS/cm, i change to rain water, till outflow water drops down to 100 uS. I started with 400 uS fertilizer but i decreased it to 200 uS . Roots of one of my viet after 3 months in rw.

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to give rockwool another shot. Maybe I got a bad batch but last time, using Xavier's formulas, and after pre-soaking for days, I couldn't get a paph to make a single damn root into it.

My experience for several days , of course, the phals was in sphagnum moss and the stem to roots began to rot, I cure with switch fungicide, see pics above and sorry to hijack the thread…IMG_0368.jpegIMG_0365.jpegIMG_0362.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My experience for several days , of course, the phals was in sphagnum moss and the stem to roots began to rot, I cure with switch fungicide, see pics above and sorry to hijack the thread…View attachment 48120View attachment 48121View attachment 48122
Hijacking is not a problem at all, imho, if aim is helping, sharing info etc . Looking at your pics i can say sadly that something is wrong. White, mold-like pathces are not a good sign at all. Check pH, EC, decrease water and increase the aur change around your plants. If you keep well plants in grodan, you will see many moss in it within few weeks.IMG_20240625_141055.jpgIMG_20240625_140902.jpgIMG_20240625_141129.jpgIMG_20240625_141010.jpg

Beautiful Paphs, congrats!
The white color is from fungicide named “switch” , sygenta. Rhizomes are badly touched from rot. Like I said that’s the risk buying online from sellers, not so correct and of course some my mistakes are not excused:) after arrival I put them in sphagnum moss , waiting the time to water but the disease is growing, than I try with this media, last shot will be bark.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Latest posts

Back