is my mexi in sheath?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really tell from the photo, but based on the time of year, I'm going to say no.

In my conditions, these usually start bloom in May through about July or August. I'm going by memory, but I can't say I've ever seen a healthy M. xerophyticum bloom this time of year.

Granted, you obviously live in a different part of the country and in a completely different climate and plants can't read, so I wouldn't bet my life on the possibility of it spiking up.

is the pointy leaf in the crown a red herring?

I think it is, but I am guessing.

I just looked at some of my plants that are currently starting new leaves and they have that same pointy hook-like appearance.

Mostly, though, it's the time of year that has me thinking it's not preparing to bloom. With species like this, they tend to bloom once a year and it tends to be seasonal. Anything outside of the typical season is highly unusual for a healthy plant.

If the plant is stressed, sick, or otherwise ailing / experiencing unusual conditions, they'll sometimes bloom in response to extreme stress. But from what I can tell your plant looks happy and healthy, so that's why I would assume these are new leaves for the time being.

Latest posts

Back