K-Lite-EA

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back, I experimented with adding some urea and ended up with a series of rots. Intellectually, I doubt a connection, but I saw what I saw.

Hummmm, interesting. I added some to my watering this past month and have seen some mold appearing. Unfortunately, there were a lot of other changes as well so it is difficult to establish any sort of cause and effect. Something to keep in mind. Thank you.

In contrast to all the other components in a fertilizer, urea is an organic compound. Diluted in water it can definitely serve as a carbon source for bacteria, probably also for fungi.

In contrast to all the other components in a fertilizer, urea is an organic compound. Diluted in water it can definitely serve as a carbon source for bacteria, probably also for fungi.
Good point. Although, in organic potting medium there are all kinds of carbon sources. I suppose it depends on how readily the molecule breaks down. I do have to say I am not liking what I am seeing with urea added to my solution.

On a tangential note, this article popped up in my Google search today. It is old and deals only with phalaenopsis, but it is the first evidence I have found that paphs might be able to use urea when potted in inorganic medium.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._can_absorb_urea_directly_through_their_roots

Be careful, being it’s a 46-0-0 fertilizer, a little goes a long way and can be easily overdone.

0.82 grams/gallon is a 100 ppm N solution.
Hey Ray, how are ya—your nitrogen dosing calculator has been a God-send in helping me to figure out the urea dosing. I plan on starting with 1/8 tsp/gallon, for 65-68 ppm/N. I also had to really look for a finer grade of urea that could be measured this minutely; most comes in larger granule sizes.

Thanks for that calculator!

I am willing to do an experiment. I have some hainanese seedlings that I can grow side by and side do some measurements for you if you want :)

I have to repot my compot and will be doing a substrate comparison between my regular orchid bark + potting soil + perlite vs rockwool.

I am also do a rock wool comparison between my current fertilizer (which is what selectorchid gave me) and your new k-lite.

Latest posts

Back