Laelia anceps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is from Sunset Valley Orchids (SVO). The breeding is L. anceps (L. anceps f. alba 'Malvern' x L. anceps 'Disciplinata' HCC/AOS). It was a seedling in a 3" pot when I purchased it in 2020.. You can see the growth so far. This is an excellent example of how I grow Cattleya really well. The blooming is the trick. Ha!

I have been holding on to see it bloom. Now that it has I will either divide and sell it. Or sell it intact, which is my preference.

20240804_165435.jpg20240804_165430.jpg

Attachments

• 20240804_165443.jpg
    20240804_165443.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Is it not up to your standards or just something you're no longer interested in?

I have been contemplating ordering one or two of the different varieties that Andy's has for sale, primarily because I have read that this species is fairly cold tolerant and can handle temps close to freezing. That's the general category of orchid I built my greenhouse for, ones that can survive summer heat in the south, but which can also survive temperatures near freezing so I don't have to spend a lot of money (or upgrade my electrical system) to heat a greenhouse in winter.

Is this species fragrant?

@mrhappyrotter it is lovely and will put on a great display one day. I just don't bloom these that well enough to justify the space they take inside. I have grown anceps, gouldiana, and aurea under lights. I have made accommodations for their long spikes. However I love how they look with wild, spikes everywhere. It just takes up too much space, especially these days.

These can definitely take lower temps when kept dry. Say 45. They can go lower for short periods of time but I have not grown them that low for months on end.

Last edited:
I've been growing Laelia anceps for over 60 years now, and can't imagine not having them around. Easy to grow, with a few important criteria:

First, they cannot ever tolerate soggy roots. I grow them mounted or in baskets with either no media or some very large chunks of tree fern slabs. In post they can go from strong to no roots in the blink of an eye.

Second, they need very high light. I try for 4,000 plus fc, and have even grown them in full sun here in coastal California. Especially important in the winter.

Third, they need lots of water and high levels of feed. If it is sunny, I water and feed every day. 350 PPM N, half of which is Urea.

Fourth, very strong air movement is vital. In the wild they get strong winds nearly every afternoon. Makes for strong growth.

Lastly, they need to be quite dry in the late fall, only misted occasionally until they start to grow again in the spring.

I grow a dozen or so different clones, and have never observed a fragrance.

My 2 cents worth on this beautiful species.

Laelia anceps.jpg

Is it not up to your standards or just something you're no longer interested in?

I have been contemplating ordering one or two of the different varieties that Andy's has for sale, primarily because I have read that this species is fairly cold tolerant and can handle temps close to freezing. That's the general category of orchid I built my greenhouse for, ones that can survive summer heat in the south, but which can also survive temperatures near freezing so I don't have to spend a lot of money (or upgrade my electrical system) to heat a greenhouse in winter.

Mine is fragrant. I’ve had for 15 years and it’s grown into a monster.

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpeg
    IMG_5839.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5841.jpeg
    IMG_5841.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Mine is fragrant. I’ve had for 15 years and it’s grown into a monster.

It's gorgeous! Do you know what variety it is and/or which vendor/breeder it originated from? The fragrance would be a hard requirement for me, so I would be very unhappy if I bought one of these and it turns out I got one of the non-fragrant ones.

@mrhappyrotter I am curious about the fragrance. I just walked about to give mine a sniff. It is lightly fragrant... like a sweet honey. It is soft, not strong or syrupy sweet. It would be interested to know if the fragrance varies from clone to clone.

@Anne Pfaff I love your clone. This is the wild growth that I do not have the space to accommodate anymore. My phrags and multi-floral paphs are taking up more and more space season to season.

Tangent here, but has anyone crossed it to Epidendrum magnoliae (= cosnopseum)? Seems it could be hardy enough for a protected location in coastal NC. (I think the northernmost population is / was in the Georgia piedmont?)

Tangent here, but has anyone crossed it to Epidendrum magnoliae (= cosnopseum)? Seems it could be hardy enough for a protected location in coastal NC. (I think the northernmost population is / was in the Georgia piedmont?)

The hybrid Laelia anceps x Epidendrum magnoliae hasn't been registered as far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean the cross hasn't been made. I grow several E. magnoliae hybrids, at least 2 of which haven't been registered.

It would not surprise me to find out that Louisiana Orchid Connection has made (or at least offered) the cross, these types of oddball hybrids are something he's well-known for here in the USA and the source of some of my other E. magnoliae hybrids.

As for E. magnoliae's northern range, it's known to naturally occur in isolated spots along the North Carolina coast, and North Carolina is generally considered to be the northernmost part of its natural range. It's a species that attracted my attention due to its cold hardiness! Eventually I may try to grow some outdoors year round and only provide minimal intervention during the coldest winter nights, but sadly I doubt it'll work long term around here. We do get nights into the single digit Fahrenheit (maybe -15C) during the winter from time to time, even if that is incredibly rare these days.

The hybrid Laelia anceps x Epidendrum magnoliae hasn't been registered as far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean the cross hasn't been made. I grow several E. magnoliae hybrids, at least 2 of which haven't been registered.

It would not surprise me to find out that Louisiana Orchid Connection has made (or at least offered) the cross, these types of oddball hybrids are something he's well-known for here in the USA and the source of some of my other E. magnoliae hybrids.

As for E. magnoliae's northern range, it's known to naturally occur in isolated spots along the North Carolina coast, and North Carolina is generally considered to be the northernmost part of its natural range. It's a species that attracted my attention due to its cold hardiness! Eventually I may try to grow some outdoors year round and only provide minimal intervention during the coldest winter nights, but sadly I doubt it'll work long term around here. We do get nights into the single digit Fahrenheit (maybe -15C) during the winter from time to time, even if that is incredibly rare these days.
I grow outdoors in Mediterranean coastal Spain. Epi magnoliae has been on my bucket (orchid pot?) list for a verrrry long time (I used to grow on the US east coast). Unfortunately, it seems to not be available at all here in Europe.

I have downsized my breeding activities now that there seem to be no reliable seed sowing labs in the EU. I do keep searching. My testing and breeding efforts are currently focused on plant performance outdoors under our conditions. Laelia anceps does well here, of course.

I grow outdoors in Mediterranean coastal Spain. Epi magnoliae has been on my bucket (orchid pot?) list for a verrrry long time (I used to grow on the US east coast). Unfortunately, it seems to not be available at all here in Europe.

I have downsized my breeding activities now that there seem to be no reliable seed sowing labs in the EU. I do keep searching. My testing and breeding efforts are currently focused on plant performance outdoors under our conditions. Laelia anceps does well here, of course.

I'm still waiting for Andy's Orchids to release the North Carolina form of E. magnoliae. Several years ago they told me they had some but that they needed time to grow up before being ready for sale. It's mildly annoying because the species seemed to be somewhat easy to find for sale in the USA back in the pre-2010's, maybe even as late as 2016-ish, but now it's tough to find a source. Andy's is the only place I've seen it for sale in years.

I don't want to sideline this thread, but last winter I experimented with a number of orchids (and other plants) in terms of cold hardiness. I kept them minimally heated (down to around 33/34F or 0.5 to 1C range). The Cattleya alliance orchids I tested seemed to handle those temps the best (other than the orchids I knew for certain would be okay with temps that low), some even continued to grow and retained active root tips which I found surprising.

Too bad about the lack of seed sowing labs. I'm not even sure who to contact for that here in the USA.

I'm still waiting for Andy's Orchids to release the North Carolina form of E. magnoliae. Several years ago they told me they had some but that they needed time to grow up before being ready for sale. It's mildly annoying because the species seemed to be somewhat easy to find for sale in the USA back in the pre-2010's, maybe even as late as 2016-ish, but now it's tough to find a source. Andy's is the only place I've seen it for sale in years.

I don't want to sideline this thread, but last winter I experimented with a number of orchids (and other plants) in terms of cold hardiness. I kept them minimally heated (down to around 33/34F or 0.5 to 1C range). The Cattleya alliance orchids I tested seemed to handle those temps the best (other than the orchids I knew for certain would be okay with temps that low), some even continued to grow and retained active root tips which I found surprising.

Too bad about the lack of seed sowing labs. I'm not even sure who to contact for that here in the

Look into both Orchid Origins and Meyers Conservatory (Troy Meyers). Both have good reps, and although I haven’t done a comparison I’ve heard Meyers is more expensive.

Latest posts

Back