Lazy Update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realized I have a very similar soup container as a pot for one of my baby phrags 😂😂😂😂 Or maybe mine was a container of store bought potato salad! Deli food is a good source of containers lol
View attachment 48844
I just the tall to-go soup container for my paphs too and they, somehow, grow better in Soup containers than in pots

Here are picture of the roots of my paph julius in a soup container.

Attachments

• 20240806_115439.jpg
    20240806_115439.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240806_115432.jpg
    20240806_115432.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Any plastic container will do IMO, especially, if you are going to insert it into an ornate orchid pot. I have used the short soup container from the Chinese take-out places, and some steady pots used for garden plants like annuals...I am going to try the tall soup container someday. How do you guys make the holes--easy way, drill it or use something like hot steel...?
BTW, I even saw on video, Orchids Limited used the tall soup container for their Phrag. kovachii.

Last edited:
How do you guys make the holes--easy way, drill it or use something like hot steel...?
Most recently I stuck a screw in a flame for a few seconds and poked holes with that. It was so smooth, and easy to make the holes wider with another round, and I was mad I didn't try that sooner because I was definitely brute-force stabbing with a screw driver before that (and splitting container bottoms pretty often with the lack of finesse).

Any plastic container will do IMO, especially, if you are going to insert it into an ornate orchid pot. I have used the short soup container from the Chinese take-out places, and some steady pots used for garden plants like annuals...I am going to try the tall soup container someday. How do you guys make the holes--easy way, drill it or use something like hot steel...?
BTW, I even saw on video, Orchids Limited used the tall soup container for their Phrag. kovachii.
The Chinese tall take-out plastic soup containers are the best for multi-floral, in my opinion, because multifloral tend to have longer and deeper roots. Once it is more root bound it makes it easier to repot to another taller pot.

For the holes, I just use a drill. 5 to 9 holes in the bottom. And then 4 to 8 more holes on the side 1 inch from the bottom, mostly for drainage. I am sure @Morja 's method of using a flame would be easier, maybe I will heat up my drill bit.

Also Chinese take-out soup containers medium are 4inch, tall are 4.5inch?, which is the perfect size for most paphs, until you get to multiflorals.

Additionally I use the chinese tall plastic soup containers for seedlings because I can just put the seedlings half way and then cover with a lid. It will keep the humidity and promote faster growth.

Thank you guys. All are good ideas... I think I could try it with an old screwdriver, and heat it up with my torch.

I just the tall to-go soup container for my paphs too and they, somehow, grow better in Soup containers than in pots

Here are picture of the roots of my paph julius in a soup container.
F ya!!!! Team soup container for the win. Honestly there are the only thing I can afford with the sheer number of plants. A thousand dollar saddle on a 5 dollar horse 🐎

I use a metal chop stick that is heated with a flame. The fumes are well..... a drill would work too.

Most recently I stuck a screw in a flame for a few seconds and poked holes with that. It was so smooth, and easy to make the holes wider with another round, and I was mad I didn't try that sooner because I was definitely brute-force stabbing with a screw driver before that (and splitting container bottoms pretty often with the lack of finesse).
Dam don't take your frustration out on the poor soup container 🤣

The Chinese tall take-out plastic soup containers are the best for multi-floral, in my opinion, because multifloral tend to have longer and deeper roots. Once it is more root bound it makes it easier to repot to another taller pot.

For the holes, I just use a drill. 5 to 9 holes in the bottom. And then 4 to 8 more holes on the side 1 inch from the bottom, mostly for drainage. I am sure @Morja 's method of using a flame would be easier, maybe I will heat up my drill bit.

Also Chinese take-out soup containers medium are 4inch, tall are 4.5inch?, which is the perfect size for most paphs, until you get to multiflorals.

Additionally I use the chinese tall plastic soup containers for seedlings because I can just put the seedlings half way and then cover with a lid. It will keep the humidity and promote faster growth.
I ordered in mass on Amazon.

I do 8 on the bottom. 4 on center then 4 on outer ring so water can't collect. Then I do about 8 on the sides: 2 on top of eachother. You can do more if you want it to drie faster. I would just keep them in the bottom half of the container as the top dries fine for me
17231855669193515383185891932269.jpg17231856455082485949461751125605.jpg

I will do it outside to avoid the fumes trapping inside the house/greenhouse... and a big screwdriver would be my choice now because it has a handle(to avoid the burn).
If you don't need a lot of them, I am sure you can buy a few from a Chinese restaurant.

The original semi-hydroponic pot was a 1 quart deli container that had come home bearing won ton soup. Before I got out of the end of the business I must have sold 10,000 of them, plus 4 other sizes.

Buy a 1/4" drill bit meant for plastics. The created nice clean holes and don't dump toxic fumes into the atmosphere like melting does.

Back