Leaving a thirsty phrag for a week

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you world travelers do it??
Making plans to leave for a week and my small collection is of course foremost in my mind!
All my phrags show tons of root growth when I flush them daily or at least every other day, which I am used to doing (I have 4... so it's doable). But they will be fine sitting for a week... I think... Except one. When it gets warm especially it sucks up water like crazy and its wet feet quicklybecome dry feet in a day or two! To avoid it getting too warm I keep a little fan on its growing area during the day, but I have to turn it off overnight or it dries out the top of the pot too much. Should I set it in a bigger water dish, make the fan less direct, and turn my supplemental light off for a week? It will still get some windowsill sun but not a whole lot.
I think I may actually need a couple of timers. I could timer the supplemental light and pull the shades, keeping things cooler, but keep the fan off unless I can make it helpful without blasting the plants with it.
If all else fails I might pay somebody 20 bucks to come water it, my one struggling phrag and my paph fairrieanum. And the delenatii. And all the other slippers. And my dendrobium in its laughably tiny pot. Aw, man! Maybe I should just do that...

I deal with pretty low humidity. Doing very well if it's in the 50s, though my special cooler area that has the fairrieanum and the thirsty phrag stays a bit more humid in 50s-60s thanks to a fancy high sided plant tray.
Thoughts? 🤣
Low quality pic of the cooler growing area with the thirsty phrag, dendrobium, and paph fairrieanum (hiding mostly out of frame because the picture is not centered at all). You can see I have the fan much too close, mostly just to push the hot air away that accumulates right by the plants when the sun shines in briefly in the afternoon. The window screen makes it less intense for the leaves, but the heat is not appreciated by the phrag especially. The fan (or keeping the shade down) really helps.
20240723_092414.jpg

That fan is likely not doing as much cooling as you’re giving it credit for, because plants don’t sweat. It’s evaporative cooling that makes us cooler in a breeze, not the breeze itself.

I have my plants outdoors in the summer. When I travel, I put a lawn sprinkler on a timer. Orbit sells an inexpensive one that will operate for a set time period every day or every other day, either at the time you set it or at dawn, using a photocell.

I’d just set it deeper in water. I’m doing that this weekend with mine. Just the ones that dry out the fastest. I have my phrags in cache pots so I can regulate that pretty easily. Have a housesitter coming for the weekend but she’ll just need to fill humidifiers and mist a few things.

A week never really bothers me at all. 2-3 weeks is a different story.
You water right before you leave and just trust all will be fine. Orchid growing is fun! You can’t let it keep you from enjoying life! They are only plants.

We travel quite often and the duration of our trip is about two weeks each time. This is how I deal with the watering:
indoor, bark base pot culture, water well two/three days before your trip, then again the day/night before you leave, never a problem for two weeks vacation, sometimes even a couple days longer in winter.
outdoor summer, if it is going to rain while you are away, it is probably okay to leave them out there, but Ray's suggestion sounds good. I left my well-established plants outside when I was on vacation for the past ten days, and they were fine. Small ones were inside the house by the window...If you don't feel comfortable with leaving them outside, move them inside and do the "double" waterings before you leave.

Thank you for all the good advice! A deeper dish and double watering sounds good. I don't have them outside here because of temperature extremes, but that's a good idea too.

Back