Neglected Phrag Compot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I tell people I prefer phrag flasks about all other genus I have worked with, they look at me oddly. For me phrags have been the easiest flask to manage. Even when they are neglected they can thrive. This is a flask of Fritz Schomburg (esseae 'Aztec Flame' x kovachii 'Drumlin Treasure' - CA942) that I received in January 2023 from Chuck Acker. I try to repot phrags every 12-18 months. Compots are typically 12 months or less in the repot rotation.

This one is clearly over due. I was not attentive to my seedling phrags this year. Shame on me, but life can't always be able orchids. I keep the small seedlings inside over the summer, and it was warm/hot in the growing room this year. Plus, these were close to the grow lights in the back of the shelf. They were watered but not the most consistently watered. the wet dry cycle was longer than ideal.

I am finally getting around to repotting and pulled these out. Outside of some rough leaves, they are in good shape considering their summer care.

20240829_152708.jpg20240829_152743.jpg20240829_152828.jpg20240829_203520.jpg

They look great....the LS 10--12'? Great Job!
You certainly have waited a lot longer (than many growers) to pot them up individually...many hobby growers would have sold them when they were still small and called them BS.

Last edited:
I'm totally on the same page with the Phrag flasks being the easiest to manage of the genera I've tried. They're so forgiving compared to Paphs. Chuck's flasks, in particular, seem to be the most forgiving and vigorous of all.

These look really nice. Hope to see some photos of the outcome when they bloom.

Latest posts

Back