Neofinetia falcata 'Kibana'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom499

Reaction score
Meant to repot but the spikes started coming so I will wait until after. 2 more spikes to bloom. A very easy plant that is bulking nicely.

I really like how the flowers colour up over the course of a few days.

Attachments

• PXL_20240615_154309113.jpg
    PXL_20240615_154309113.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240616_121648747.jpg
    PXL_20240616_121648747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I like it too but words from the street say the yellow one is not a species....

We had a talk yesterday on Vanda falcata yesterday from Mr. Duane McDowell of Minnesota. I had been anxiously awaiting this presentation since last June when he brought 8 plants to judging. Here are three from June 2023.
I sat there for over a half hour and I am still bewildered and befuddled!
At least now I know the difference between Fukiran and Furan. Furan are plants recognized for their flowers. Fukiran are plants recognized for their foliage.
Most AOS awards to Vanda falcata are to Furan plants, very few for Fukiran plants. And a few Fukiran plants have received flower quality awards for their flowers.

0E13F6B6-DB9C-4828-990C-8249A4FEBAC3.jpeg129A1403-969E-4501-BB36-0751F99AC39D.jpeg7E6C3AF9-DC22-4107-B408-17577F79B8E3.jpeg
I also got the impression that all of the Japanese and Korean names are east I ally clonal names. Not hybrid names at all!!
Kind of like sib crosses!!
If they were hybrid names the genus name would be different like Neostylis. Neofinetia x Rhynchostylis.
So you have V. falcata ‘pink’ x V. falcata ‘ ‘tangerine’. It could then be V. Falcata var. ‘Sunset Mist’ as the pink by tangerine results in yellow flowers.but that new plant with yellow flowers is still a Vanda falcata above all else.
For the last year, judging teams from both continents are trying to hammer out the details. AOS awards based on flowers, Japanese system based on vegetative characteristics.
At least I think that I learned something.

Really nice. I like the flower color. And even though I cannot smell it over the internet, I'm sure the flowers are nice and fragrant.

I purchased a yellow flowered V. falcata variety last year. I think 'Kibana' may have been one of the parents, but I'd need to check the label to confirm. Mine is in bud right now and flowers will probably start opening any day now, so it looks like your plant is a bit ahead of mine in terms of schedule.

I've also heard that many of the non-white flowered varieties are likely hybrids. Typically I prefer pure species and I would generally not spend money on things when it's unclear if they are actually hybrids rather than pure species or if there's a good chance that they are mislabeled. But, in the case of my falcatas, I did not care. They were cheap by orchid and "neo" standards, they are nicely scented, and I wanted to buy a couple as test subjects to see if they could handle the winter lows in my greenhouse that approaches freezing temps in the winter as well as my overal care and growing conditions.

I've read that many varities can handle light frosts or freezes if it's not too long of a duration, but that many of the types with colorful flowers are said to be less cold tolerant. Both of the falcatas I tested this winter handled the cold just fine even with overnight lows that were very close to freezing. I did cut way back on watering during the coldest and shortest days, but I didn't give them harsh dry conditions.

I've also heard that many of the non-white flowered varieties are likely hybrids. Typically I prefer pure species and I would generally not spend money on things when it's unclear if they are actually hybrids rather than pure species or if there's a good chance that they are mislabeled. But, in the case of my falcatas, I did not care. They were cheap by orchid and "neo" standards, they are nicely scented, and I wanted to buy a couple as test subjects to see if they could handle the winter lows in my greenhouse that approaches freezing temps in the winter as well as my overal care and growing conditions.
Most of the Japanese growers think the yellow ones are hybrids, for example, the kibana (even though it did reach the Fukiran status). The yellow form has never been found in the wild. I think they did find the red/purple/pink ones.
If you just want flowers, get the most common Neof. falcata. It is the best flowing Neof. IMO.
Neof. falcata can easily handle the temperature near freezing, but keep them drier tho in the winter.

We had a talk yesterday on Vanda falcata yesterday from Mr. Duane McDowell of Minnesota. I had been anxiously awaiting this presentation since last June when he brought 8 plants to judging. Here are three from June 2023.
I sat there for over a half hour and I am still bewildered and befuddled!
At least now I know the difference between Fukiran and Furan. Furan are plants recognized for their flowers. Fukiran are plants recognized for their foliage.
Most AOS awards to Vanda falcata are to Furan plants, very few for Fukiran plants. And a few Fukiran plants have received flower quality awards for their flowers.

View attachment 47892View attachment 47894View attachment 47893
I also got the impression that all of the Japanese and Korean names are east I ally clonal names. Not hybrid names at all!!
Kind of like sib crosses!!
If they were hybrid names the genus name would be different like Neostylis. Neofinetia x Rhynchostylis.
So you have V. falcata ‘pink’ x V. falcata ‘ ‘tangerine’. It could then be V. Falcata var. ‘Sunset Mist’ as the pink by tangerine results in yellow flowers.but that new plant with yellow flowers is still a Vanda falcata above all else.
For the last year, judging teams from both continents are trying to hammer out the details. AOS awards based on flowers, Japanese system based on vegetative characteristics.
At least I think that I learned something.
Duane is in the group I’m in on FB. Very knowledgeable and sells very nice plants also!

if the yellow ones are hybrids, what is the yellow parent?
You have to read the article on Orchid Digest(many years ago)...can't remember the story...but I don't think they(Japanese) are sure about it either

Last edited:
Kibana means 'yellow flower' and any neo with flowers that yellow (they open white, then yellow up) have hybrid genes in the background. same for the dark purple flowers. Shutennou and similar flowers are called "red" flowers but they are really more splashed with pink, those are considered pure falcata. A few 'pure' neo varieties such as Zuiun produce soft yellow flowers.

The way I understand it, "fukiran" is any neo that has a special characteristic. may be variegation. may be unusual growth habit. may also be unusual flower with "normal" green leaves, such as the green Hisui or the peloric 3 spurred Hanamatoi, or the aforementioned Shutennou with colored flowers. furan is any other neo without a special feature.

Back