New Phrag kovachii hybrids.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. What are the new crosses
Luis Matienzo
(Elizabeth Castle x Fritz Schomburg)

Emanuel Shaddai
(Elizabeth Castle x Susanne Decker

Midalit Medina
(kovachii x Grame Jones 'Jessica')

Aparicio
(Hanne Popow x Grame Jones 'Alexa')

Memoria Marisa Rolando (kovachii x Hanne Popow)

Ingrid Suarez
(kovachii x humboltii)

(schlimii x Grame Jones 'Alexa')

kovachii (kovachii 'Maria x kovachii 'Daniela')

I do hope you get some nice ones like the parents . I wish you good luck!

Are they continuing to settle in without issues? I was trying to figure out what you are using for media, looks like straight live sphagnum and a bit of oyster shell dressing?
Yes they are adapting quite well. The media is Geolite, a type of expanded clay. I have a layer of sphagnum moss about a half inch thick covering the media surface to encourage new basal root initiation. Powdered oyster shell is applied to the surface periodically.
IMG_20240826_185050896.jpg

About the sphagnum moss... It is technically not alive, purchased dry. The green coloring is algae growth . The moss is Peruvian sphagnum which is sun dried and will eventually generate new
growth.
IMG_20240828_135517973.jpg
The moss environment of the surface layer really does encourage rapid root growth for Phrags.
IMG_20240828_135607346.jpg

About the sphagnum moss... It is technically not alive, purchased dry. The green coloring is algae growth . The moss is Peruvian sphagnum which is sun dried and will eventually generate new
growth.
View attachment 49312
The moss environment of the surface layer really does encourage rapid root growth for Phrags.
View attachment 49313

Thanks for this detail. Where does one source Peruvian moss? The sphagnum moss I use is local from Maryland. Would be interested to see if the phrags respond differently to the Peruvian moss. Would be happy to send some of mine your way if you have any available for barter!

There is one company in Peru licensed to collect and export the moss. It is collected from rock surfaces rather than bogs and it actually has orchids growing in it. When we lived in Peru I collected it live in the cloud forest and I also purchased the processed moss from the licensed company. Both performed equally well.
Now that I'm back in California I found a source on Amazon

Last edited:
Back