Paph adductum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This species, including anitum and randsii grow really big in the wild. Most of the plants I have seen have two leads ahead of the flowering plant. They grow so fast considering that they flower every year. We are missing a lot here as to the nutrition of these species. I have seen locals growing them in soil, some in unwashed coconut husk and although they are not growing as big, they are alive never the less. I will definitely do some experiments. One thing I know now, they love to be rained on. Not just for a few hours , even days of rain. They root easily in my greenhouse when I let them get rained on for hours.

We don't see much of regular ole adductum anymore these days, so I'm glad to see it's still being grown and enjoyed in cultivation. Honestly I half assume that the "secret" to growing these kinds of species is just consistent warmth (along with humidity and lots of water) that's tough to provide in standard indoor growing conditions in temperate parts of the world. Pretty much all my multifloral Paphs go crazy with growing during the warmer months of the year, but once they come indoors for fall/winter, even though it's not particularly cold, they slow to a crawl.

Where in phils are you located?

Great looking plant/ flowers. I wonder how many of these in cultivation suffer from inbreeding depression as well.

This species, including anitum and randsii grow really big in the wild. Most of the plants I have seen have two leads ahead of the flowering plant. They grow so fast considering that they flower every year. We are missing a lot here as to the nutrition of these species. I have seen locals growing them in soil, some in unwashed coconut husk and although they are not growing as big, they are alive never the less. I will definitely do some experiments. One thing I know now, they love to be rained on. Not just for a few hours , even days of rain. They root easily in my greenhouse when I let them get rained on for hours.
One thing I don't see tried and tested is volcanic rock/soils?

I love your adductum, that huge chin pouch is cool, I have a anitum x S-gratrix going into flower I got from sarkowsky in 2016

Back