Paph. Gloria Naugle - NOT! (Magic Lantern)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
Well, after 16 years and a dedicated cool area in the GH, I finally got two spikes on this Gloria Naugle I got from InCharm. I have babied this thing, a notoriously difficult bloomer, and was so excited to see the spikes. Unfortunately, apparently they had mislabeled it and it is actually Magic Lantern. A nice Magic Lantern. I like it, but I want the plant I bought and paid for. I want to see a Gloria Naugle BLOOM. And before anyone suggests a switched label, I don't OWN a Magic Lantern, so that's not a possibility!

Attachments

• magiclantern0724.jpeg
    magiclantern0724.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2
I can understand you are disappointed and upset but what can be done now after all of these years? Sam is retired and moved south a couple years back.

I guess what I might do is:
Keep it
Sell it to recoup some money
Buy another Naugle or trade for one here if you can.

....... I want to see a Gloria Naugle BLOOM. And before anyone suggests a switched label, I don't OWN a Magic Lantern, so that's not a possibility!
Lovely P. Magic Latern .... on the one hand I understand your disappointment but on the other hand even if you put yourself upside down ... this ML won't turn in a GN

Whoa, that is such a disappointing let down. The feeling of accomplishment you must have felt when the spikes and buds started showing along with the anticipation of seeing and sharing the flowers, only to end up with this. Nice flowers as you said, but also a bit of a dud if it took 16 years to bloom. I'd be employing some deep breathing techniques because what else can you do?

Is this typical for In Charm (i.e. mislabeled plants)? 15+ years ago, I feel like they had a great reputation in the USA, but more recently I get the impression that they've burned some bridges and destroyed a lot of good will. Then again, maybe I'm misremembering?

Any ideas what you'll do with this plant? I'd almost have to part with it purely because it would end up being a reminder of the disappointment, but I could also see keeping it and making the best lemonade you could from the situation.

I'm always so tempted by the multifloral (ex: roth) x parvi hybrids because the flowers can be so incredibly stunning and I don't get to see them very often. It just seems like a hassle to bloom them reliably and the gorgeous foliage is nice to look at but if that's what I was after, I can find plenty of Paphs (and orchids in general) with foliage that's even more attractive.

The plant of GN looks very different from ML...size and markings.
Mislabeled plants are disappointing in most cases but this time, at least you have a good clone of ML here...not a total loss. Hope the flower is long-lasting.

Last edited:
I'm always so tempted by the multifloral (ex: roth) x parvi hybrids because the flowers can be so incredibly stunning and I don't get to see them very often. It just seems like a hassle to bloom them reliably and the gorgeous foliage is nice to look at but if that's what I was after, I can find plenty of Paphs (and orchids in general) with foliage that's even more attractive.
Some of us may enjoy the challenges, and that is part of the fun.😇

Whoa, that is such a disappointing let down. The feeling of accomplishment you must have felt when the spikes and buds started showing along with the anticipation of seeing and sharing the flowers, only to end up with this. Nice flowers as you said, but also a bit of a dud if it took 16 years to bloom. I'd be employing some deep breathing techniques because what else can you do?

Is this typical for In Charm (i.e. mislabeled plants)? 15+ years ago, I feel like they had a great reputation in the USA, but more recently I get the impression that they've burned some bridges and destroyed a lot of good will. Then again, maybe I'm misremembering?

Any ideas what you'll do with this plant? I'd almost have to part with it purely because it would end up being a reminder of the disappointment, but I could also see keeping it and making the best lemonade you could from the situation.

Haven't decided yet what to do with this plant. Meanwhile, does anyone know how to contact In-Charm?

@tennis, I know you are a good grower, so I am quite surprised to hear that it took you 16 years to bloom a Magic Lantern. It isn't a difficult plant to grow or bloom in general. Something missing here...perhaps too cool.
Feel bad for you but I doubt you will get anything back from In Charm Orchids after 16 years....and I would keep it if I were you. It is a good clone IMO.

@tennis, I know you are a good grower, so I am quite surprised to hear that it took you 16 years to bloom a Magic Lantern. It isn't a difficult plant to grow or bloom in general. Something missing here...perhaps too cool.
Feel bad for you but I doubt you will get anything back from In Charm Orchids after 16 years....and I would keep it if I were you. It is a good clone IMO.
Yes, now that I've gotten over the disappointment I'll keep it. I've always liked magic Lantern and it is a. lovely flower. I wasn't growing it cool. I just moved it to the cool room this past spring, and voilå! Blooms!

Back