Paph henryanum Bloom OUTDOORS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Califoutdoors

Reaction score
My lil’ outdoor orchid shade shack (near Santa Cruz, CA) has it’s first bloomer—

Paph. henryanum ('Super Jumbo' AM/AOS x fma. album ‘Albino Beauty')

In all transparency, this adorable dwarf Paph came to me in spike (but I have high hopes for my small outdoor shade shake that has a custom poly cover and heater for the winter months)

I knew henryanum is a small species—but this guy is TINY; 7” leafspan. One of the pics show him next to a $10 bill for reference. I’ve really fallen head-over-heels for this teeny tiny Paph…!

I apologize for going off thread. I grew outdoors on the Westside of Santa Cruz in the 70s and early 80s. Cymbidiums and Mexican Laelias. Temperature was rarely an issue, but some protection was necessary during the winter downpours and the associated winds of those days. Best of luck with your Paphs.

I apologize for going off thread. I grew outdoors on the Westside of Santa Cruz in the 70s and early 80s. Cymbidiums and Mexican Laelias. Temperature was rarely an issue, but some protection was necessary during the winter downpours and the associated winds of those days. Best of luck with your Paphs.
Temperature has been an issue this summer! Hottest summer in California’s history. Today will be the 3rd day in a row my shade shack will be around 105F with relative humidity as low as 17%—a sudden desert climate. I’ve got a fan blowing into the back, and I try to mist the plants every 1/2 hour or so in the heart of the heat. Starting tomorrow it’s suppose to drop into the 80’s. Have you been affected by the heat up in Mendocino?

Planned for the heavy winter (mediterranean) rains by installing a clear polycarbonate roof over the shack —the plants will get no rain. The base of the unit is a heavyweight wire shelving unit from Target, which should hold up well to the winds. I’l attach a pic of the prototype, but it’s being upgraded to Aluminet. Plan to start a thread on my shack once it’s fully complete (ie. a shimmerey silver rectangle in my yard).

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    3.6 MB

Latest posts

Back