Paphiopedilum Bailey's Bid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Bailey's Bid

(Paphiopedilum henryanum × Paphiopedilum fowliei)

This came from Ross Hella at Deerwood Orchis. Criminally underrated breeder / vendor. Well known here on Slippertalk, of course, but for those of you who don't know: Ross is probably the top breeder in the USA when it comes to miniature Paphs. And also, he's a member here on ST!

I purchased this plant many years ago, though I don't recall when. It's not the most reliable bloomer or easiest Paph to grow for me in my conditions, but it's done okay and obviously it's blooming again. I don't know that I've posted photos of it here before, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Overall, I really like this flower! It's hard to imagine an undesirable P. henryanum hybrid though I doubt anybody would make this case that this is the best of its progeny. The main thing is, this is indeed a very small growing and compact hybrid. And although I'm a big fan of fowliei and its intrasectional hybrids, it doesn't always make the most attractive intersectional hybrids. So, as those go, this is pretty darned good if you ask me.

This plant is a keeper as long as I can manage to keep it alive and growing!

Attachments

• 20240908_161220.jpg
    20240908_161220.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240908_161221.jpg
    20240908_161221.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_161224.jpg
    20240908_161224.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_161225.jpg
    20240908_161225.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240908_161228.jpg
    20240908_161228.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_161230.jpg
    20240908_161230.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_161233.jpg
    20240908_161233.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 0
I can say I've not yet met a fowlei hybrid that I thought was great... Made at least one myself that was pretty awful. :) But the color is really good. Would be better if it had the henryanum stem as well as the color.

Fowlei is cute as a species - although the stem is always way too long for the size of the flower. This hybrid seems to have inherited the stem length. If someone has a short fowlei I would love to get some pollen from it

Thanks for the kind words! Your flower is quite nice for the cross. I did a few primary crosses in order to evaluate fowliei's dominant characteristics. (Personally, I like the tall stem.) Unfortunately like a lot of henryanum x barbata types, it is not an eager bloomer. One fowliei cross, Donna's Bird (fowliei x Krull's Donna Brown) has been used to breed on for compat maudiaes.

Thanks for the kind words! Your flower is quite nice for the cross. I did a few primary crosses in order to evaluate fowliei's dominant characteristics. (Personally, I like the tall stem.) Unfortunately like a lot of henryanum x barbata types, it is not an eager bloomer. One fowliei cross, Donna's Bird (fowliei x Krull's Donna Brown) has been used to breed on for compat maudiaes.

You are most welcome! I appreciate you and I appreciate your breeding efforts!

I agree, this is a very nice flower. I don't find the stem length off putting or particularly unusual, but then my favorite (or one of my favorite) Paph species is P. malipoense, so the stem on this plant doesn't register as being abnormal. I have a P. barbatum in bloom now as well, it's a smaller plant with smaller flowers, but approximately the same length flower stem.

I feel like this plant would bloom more often if my conditions and care were better. I do really well with some Paphs, and others just don't like me. This one's somewhere in the middle. It's nice enough that I consider it worth the wait.

I did have a P. Donna's Bird at some point. The Krull's Donna Brown you used was breathtaking, I haven't seen the photo in years, but I have a strong recollection of how beautiful it is/was. I'm not sure that the Donna's Bird I got was anywhere near as nice, but I'm glad to hear that Donna's Bird is being used to breed compact maudiaes.

I can say I've not yet met a fowlei hybrid that I thought was great... Made at least one myself that was pretty awful. :) But the color is really good. Would be better if it had the henryanum stem as well as the color.

Fowlei is cute as a species - although the stem is always way too long for the size of the flower. This hybrid seems to have inherited the stem length. If someone has a short fowlei I would love to get some pollen from it

Yes, I really like P. fowliei. I like the normal color version, and all I can seem to find these days is the album variety.

I've not seen a fowliei with a short stem, per se. Realistically, the stem length on this is about the same as the stem length on my P. barbatum (which is currently also in bloom). The barbatum is a significantly smaller plant with a smaller flower. So, this one doesn't strike me as being too out of proportion. Having said that, I'm a huge malipoense fan, and the proportions on the spike length don't even register for me in comparison.

Do you recall what fowliei crosses you've made? How were they awful? Just asking out of curiousity because I like fowliei, but I agree, it doesn't always make the best hybrids.

Yes, I really like P. fowliei. I like the normal color version, and all I can seem to find these days is the album variety.

I've not seen a fowliei with a short stem, per se. Realistically, the stem length on this is about the same as the stem length on my P. barbatum (which is currently also in bloom). The barbatum is a significantly smaller plant with a smaller flower. So, this one doesn't strike me as being too out of proportion. Having said that, I'm a huge malipoense fan, and the proportions on the spike length don't even register for me in comparison.

Do you recall what fowliei crosses you've made? How were they awful? Just asking out of curiousity because I like fowliei, but I agree, it doesn't always make the best hybrids.
Fowlei x parishii is the one I remember... Actually I don't remember if it was my cross, but I flasked it only one bloomed. There is a picture of it somewhere, on a different computer.

I have the regular color form of fowlei. Might be a year before I divide it again (think I gave away the other half of the last time). I'll try to put a tag in it to remind me to send you one.

I remember fowlei being in the pile of flasks from Sam (a couple really old, kind of dried up flasks). If they survived I may find some seedlings eventually. Everything kind of looks the same on the bench so it is always a surprise when I repot.

Ross, I forgot Donna's Bird was a fowlei cross. I had one or two and I thought it was quite nice. Even used it in a cross (x hainanense? ). Was dumb enough to sell the first few to bud (in bud) and the rest are growing much more slowly. Of course.

Can't find the picture that I was sent. Thought he was going to register it but I only see one Donna's Bird cross in RHS.

Fowlei x parishii is the one I remember... Actually I don't remember if it was my cross, but I flasked it only one bloomed. There is a picture of it somewhere, on a different computer.

I have the regular color form of fowlei. Might be a year before I divide it again (think I gave away the other half of the last time). I'll try to put a tag in it to remind me to send you one.

I remember fowlei being in the pile of flasks from Sam (a couple really old, kind of dried up flasks). If they survived I may find some seedlings eventually. Everything kind of looks the same on the bench so it is always a surprise when I repot.

Parishii is a fascinating and beautiful species, but I'm mostly not a fan of its hybrids. Still, I have a soft spot for oddball and novelty breeding.

I would love a piece of the fowliei!

Years ago I bought a mini flask of the normal color form from Woodstream. They were doing very well in compot and I decided it was time to move them into individual pots. After potting them up, I set them on the floor next to the stands until I could rearrange some plants to make room for them.

And on that day in history, I discovered that P. fowliei is apparently an irresistable canine delicacy.

My dog, who has never before and never since chewed on a houseplant, ate most of the plants and I was only able to salvage the weakest, smallest little runt. It's been a struggle to keep that poor thing alive. Luckily the fowliei hybrids I've acquired over the years have been notably easier to grow.

Ross, I forgot Donna's Bird was a fowlei cross. I had one or two and I thought it was quite nice. Even used it in a cross (x hainanense? ). Was dumb enough to sell the first few to bud (in bud) and the rest are growing much more slowly. Of course.

Can't find the picture that I was sent. Thought he was going to register it but I only see one Donna's Bird cross in RHS.
I've registered one cross with Donna's Bird: Paph Natalie Goldston (Donna's Bird X Vercruysse). Two examples are posted below. They are not mini's, but definitely compact.

Attachments

• Paph Natalie Goldston '3-23A' plant .jpg
    Paph Natalie Goldston '3-23A' plant .jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Paph Natalie Goldston 'Deerwood's Darling' plant.jpg
    Paph Natalie Goldston 'Deerwood's Darling' plant.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Another fowliei cross registered by Ross -- Paph. Fairy Bird (fowliei x fairrieanum)

I have one of these as well! I found out something super interesting last year when it bloomed last -- the flowers are faintly fragrant.

I have had the Paph. Fairy Bird for years (purchased at the same time as this Bailey's Bid if I recall correctly) and until last year, I had never noticed a scent. I've always grown the plant indoors, but last year I grew it outdoors and it stayed outside while it flowered. If I had to guess, I'm thinking exposure to natural sunlight might've made the difference.

Of course, that begs the question: Where did the fragrance come from? Turns out some fairrieanum are faintly fragrant. It's mentioned here (https://www.orchidweb.com/orchids/paphiopedilum/species/paph-fairrieanum-ruffles-x-fairy) for example.

Back