Paphiopedilum Golden Palace

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Golden Palace is Paphiopedilum Mem. Larry Heuer x armeniacum.

Finally a flower made it after multiple attempted bloomings ending in bud blast. On one hand, I am happy that the flower made it. On the other, it looks like a confused extra from The Flying Nun.

Hopefully the reflexing will improve because the color is pleasing and the Dorsal is broad. The petals are oddly textured which I bet at adding to the reflexing. The question is whether the texture is genetic or environmental

20240914_203259.jpg20240914_203240.jpg

Most of these that I've seen so far have been a little underwhelming in terms of my expectations for this hybrid.

Considering how large MLH flowers are (or can be) and how proportionally large armenicum's flowers are, it seems like most of the Golden Palaces I've seen aren't terribly impressive in size. Certainly the flowers on mine are a little disappointing. A lot of these don't have the best shape in the world, though for some reason that doesn't bug me as much with Parvies.

My plant also blasts a lot of spikes. I haven't figured out why. Granted, it literally tries to bloom itself to death at times, it seems to be a very vigorous plant and spikes up pretty much any time of the year. But so many of the spikes just don't make it. So, I don't get my hopes up too much.

Still, it's a nice little pop of color now and then, and it doesn't take up lots of space.

Back