Paphiopedilum Memoria Rapee Sagarik

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Memoria Rapee Sagarik (Paph. thaianum x sukhakulii)

I debated even posting this. It's a cute and interesting hybrid, but this flower obviously has some major flaws. I'm chalking that up to the fact that it's a first bloomed seedling. I definitely plan to give it another chance or few to bloom before I would consider tossing it as a reject.

This one came from Ross at Deerwood Orchids (https://deerwoodorchids.com/) -- Ross is well-known for his exciting miniature Paph breeding. As a grower with more obsession than growing space, I have a BIG appreciation for little orchids so miniature slipper orchids are a great fit.

I've seen lots of photos of this hybrid online in the past. Truthfully this plant's first flower isn't all that great compared to some of the fantastic ones I've seen photos of. However, I think all the minor cosmetic issues are things that are likely to improve in future bloomings. Slightly misshapen flower segments as well as color breaks like this are very common in first bloom plants, particularly in these types of intersectional hybrids. So, imperfections aside, I do really like the outcome and it's pretty much what I was hoping for and expecting.

It's a small growing plant with a decent sized flower. I love the spots and the splash of color in the lip. This very much has the potential to be a windowsill orchid. It's not very demanding in terms of light and it seems to be pretty easy to grow. The foliage is lovely, so it's an attractive plant even when it is not in bloom. I purchased 2 of these from Ross and this one that's blooming is actually the smaller growing of them. It will be interesting to compare the flowers on these siblings, but the one that's not in bloom is in the process of growing a nice new leaf, so I don't anticipate it flowering any time soon.

Some P. thaianum hybrids are faintly fragrant. I didn't expect this one to be fragrant, but I still checked. No scent that I can detect.

Attachments

• 20240721_104505.jpg
    20240721_104505.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240721_104506.jpg
    20240721_104506.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240721_104511.jpg
    20240721_104511.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240721_104554.jpg
    20240721_104554.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240721_104556.jpg
    20240721_104556.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 1
Reading your description I expected worse, but I was pleasantly surprised! I definitely think there is hope for it to improve with time, but even now, what a pretty little thing!

somebody make thaianum x wardii... I'm sure somebody has (I probably have, will have to check my notes). :) I think that has potential, just grow it up a bit.

somebody make thaianum x wardii... I'm sure somebody has (I probably have, will have to check my notes). :) I think that has potential, just grow it up a bit.
I tried by my album wardii isn't very fertile. You should make it.

Last edited:
Back