Paphiopedilum Ruby Charm (and photography questions)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph Ruby Charm (helenae x Wonderful Ruby), first bloom of an Orchids Ltd seedling I got in March. (Bud watch thread here.) This is my first slipper orchid to bloom and my husband's first attempt at "official" looking orchid photos- which brings me to the question, what is your preferred lighting method?! Taking pictures of shiny flowers with a flash is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be! Black velvet is in order, but I made do with some black cotton T-shirts over the background my husband had. He's been taking pictures of humans professionally as a side gig for about 6 years and has pretty much all the needed equipment for using flash with or without a diffuser, reflectors, stands, etc.
I tried to keep editing as true to color as possible, the different lighting methods definitely bring different aspects out. A back-lit white background pic is included at the end just for fun- too "glowy" imo for a real representation.
Which picture is your favorite?

PaphRubyCharm_orchid-1.jpgPaphRubyCharm_orchid-4.jpgPaphRubyCharm_orchid-5.jpgPaphRubyCharm_orchid-6.jpgPaphRubyCharm_orchid-3.jpg

Last edited:
Man, this is funny that you should ask. I have been into photography slightly longer than orchids. And that is a long time. I shoot birds mostly and those little flitting warblers are tough to photograph, just like orchids!
Why?
Well with a three dimensional flower like a slipper with its pouch, understanding what depth of field is becomes so critical. As a result it takes practice.
A good quality SLR digital camera helps a lot. I have both a macro lens and a wide angle lens. I use a flash mounted on an off the camera shoe cord with a diffuser. It softens the flash. Plus my flash has many settings so I can dial up, or down, the strength of the flash.
A good tripod is a must. Many photographers use a ‘ring flash’.
Digital has made it easier then film ever was.

When it comes to orchid photography, the black background makes images “pop”! Darker grays work well. White can often be way too harsh.

And honestly, the AOS, frowns upon editing. That is why when I shoot for their publications, I submit plenty of images with slight variations. I let them choose.

The 3rd image is the best.

Bright, diffuse light is important. I made myself a “studio box” a while back, attaching white bedsheet to canvas stretcher frames, one yo each side and from above, with black velvet well behind the subject, then lit them from the outside with LED spotlights.

Back