Phrag. besseae flavum ‘Broadwaters’ x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I killed my division of this awarded plant so tried a couple of selfings. I think last bloom was better. They need repotting terribly, as have climbed several inches above mix, which undoubtedly is not ideal. Sweet thing, though.

Attachments

• IMG_3829.jpeg
    IMG_3829.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
The second flower got the better genes from the selfing! Better color and configuration. The leaves are also wider. In my space-limited situation I would only be able to keep that second one. You are growing them well.
I agree, the first one did not bloom last time when the second one did. Smaller plant. Anyway, first one has a green tint and the upturned petals, but is .3 cm larger NS. The second one is perfectly flat and great color. I think it will bloom larger when it's not climbing inches above the mix. I'm finally starting to get caught up on repotting catts, phrags are next.

They have a mind of their own on blooming... Put a little loose sphagnum under the roving growths, it will encourage rooting. If it were me, I wouldn't repot besseae in the summer. I've lost more to heat than anything else. I'll probably rework my big plants in September or so. I don't have any worries repotting other phrags this time of year - or perhaps I just worry more about the besseae. :)

My best growing besseae are in saucers (round bulbophyllum pans), not very deep at all. They seem to like being able to find the bottom of the growing container. But once they get some size to them they are pretty much as uncontrollable as most of the hybrids, they will grow where you put them. I've heard of people putting them in long trays and keeping the long trays at a 45 degree angle to the bench - so that the new aerial growths can go right into the mix. Didn't work for me, killed the only plant I tried that way and it was just awkward for my space.

They have a mind of their own on blooming... Put a little loose sphagnum under the roving growths, it will encourage rooting. If it were me, I wouldn't repot besseae in the summer. I've lost more to heat than anything else. I'll probably rework my big plants in September or so. I don't have any worries repotting other phrags this time of year - or perhaps I just worry more about the besseae. :)

My best growing besseae are in saucers (round bulbophyllum pans), not very deep at all. They seem to like being able to find the bottom of the growing container. But once they get some size to them they are pretty much as uncontrollable as most of the hybrids, they will grow where you put them. I've heard of people putting them in long trays and keeping the long trays at a 45 degree angle to the bench - so that the new aerial growths can go right into the mix. Didn't work for me, killed the only plant I tried that way and it was just awkward for my space.
To jump on your last comment, it would be interesting to see if you could completely prop up the tray at a 90 degree angle, basically strap down the media and hang the tray sideways. Let it grow up a wall... 🤔 this might be in my future.

To jump on your last comment, it would be interesting to see if you could completely prop up the tray at a 90 degree angle, basically strap down the media and hang the tray sideways. Let it grow up a wall... 🤔 this might be in my future.
Or use one of those sphagnum wrapped totem poles.

Interesting about the 45 degree angle. I killed every P. besseae and P. besseae cross I tried to grow in my light room. They would thrive in winter temps (high 72), but as soon as the temps started to rise in the spring by June (high 84) they were in such decline that they did not make it. After losing my original awarded P. besseae flavum 'Broadwaters', I finally figured it out with the help of monocotman who grows his this way. I now grow besseae by watering with r/o + 1/4 teas. MSU, then placing in an individual saucer with about 1/4" plain r/o water. I put a couple of holes for air above the water line. When the saucer gets dry, I repeat. AND, I moved them all up to ambient a/c house temp, so never above 76-78 max when morning sun is shining in.
I simply waited too long to repot for complicated reasons. Bill Goldner (Woodstream) told me to place the new growth in the new mix at the level of the mix with the old growth still connected (even though deep) and it's leaves sticking out. Leaves will eventually die, but will keep nourishing the plant in the meantime and the new growth will root and grow. So, as soon as it finishes blooming, I will do that. Since house is air-conditioned in VA, they are not stressed this time of year. At least, after learning the hard way, I still have a besseae flavum 'Broadewaters' selfing that's pretty good. I also have a P. besseae flavum 'Green Gold' x self from Tim Culbertson, if I remember correctly. It was small and struggled with my problems (I've had it since 2020), but I did save it. Probably will bloom next year.

Latest posts

Back