Phragmipedium .... fischerii .... don't bite my head off.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I'm sticking with the label, this is Phragmipedium fsicherii 'Jean' x self.

Personally, I don't really care if this is "just" a schlimii or not, it's sufficiently different from all my other schlimii plants that it has earned a spot in my collection. This species/cultivar/whatever is much, much more diminutive than any of my other schlimii plants and the flowers are distinctly non-fragrant. So, it's different to me, especially in consideration of how different the color and color pattern of the flowers is.

Otherwise, it's easy to grow and bloom, so that's definitely a plus. Don't let the brown on the leaves fool you, that's just some seaweed extract residue.

Attachments

• 20240721_104206.jpg
    20240721_104206.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240721_104211.jpg
    20240721_104211.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240721_104213.jpg
    20240721_104213.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 0
It is almost identical in coloration and configuration to my non-fragrant fischerii that comes from a line of sib crosses done by Orchids Limited. The orchid world has been confused and in conflict about species since the earliest days. It will be a while until sophisticated genetic tools will be cost effective to analyze good numbers of the problem species to see how much genetic diversity there is. How much genetic diversity is enough to qualify as a separate species? There isn’t a good definition right now.

It depends if you’re a lumper or splitter. They would probably continue to disagree with a good definition.
Breeds differently and it is too late to change the RHS registry. That horse has left the barn and probably left the country...

There are quite a few species that I would lump if it was up to me.

Hi,
I goo with you, for me fischeri and schlimii are two different things, close relted , yes, but different in shape, form and fragrance of the flower (schlimii fragrant, fischeri not) if your breed primary hybrids you get pretty intermediates between...

Attachments

• phragm. fischeri  035.JPG
    phragm. fischeri 035.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 0
  • phragm. fischeri 30.JPG
    phragm. fischeri 30.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • phragm. schlimii  026.JPG
    phragm. schlimii 026.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 0
  • phragm. manzurii, fischeri, schlimii 01.JPG
    phragm. manzurii, fischeri, schlimii 01.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 0
  • phragm. andreettae 030.JPG
    phragm. andreettae 030.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 0
  • phragm. andreettae x fischeri 78.JPG
    phragm. andreettae x fischeri 78.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • phragm. andreettae x schlimii 6.JPG
    phragm. andreettae x schlimii 6.JPG
    561.5 KB · Views: 0
  • phragm. Asendorf Rose 05.jpg
    phragm. Asendorf Rose 05.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • phragm. fischeri x manzurii 002.JPG
    phragm. fischeri x manzurii 002.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Sequencing is easy…. And within financial reach… getting less expensive all the time…always shocked that orchidisiacs don’t do it.
It is more than just the technology. It is also agreeing on what is a definite species. Only wild collected plant (not so easy with a number of species anymore)? Is it line bred plants from certain reputable breeders who don’t make mistakes with labeling or flasking? How many definite species must be tested to establish the norm? Then, assuming you do whole genome sequencing (and plant genomes can be enormous), there will be natural variation, so how much variation is allowed within a species? Some of the characteristics we use to define a different species (blooming season, fragrance, size, etc) might be caused by only a modest number of genetic differences. Broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and brussels sprouts are all varieties in the same species Brassica oleracea. That is like the very early days of Cattleyas when the prominent botanists wanted most of the unifoliate Cattleyas to be varieties of Cattleya labiata.

Back