Phragmipedium wallisii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely, lovely species. Taxonomy is (I got berated and threatened from another popular "orchid" "board" for saying this so I'll sanitize here) a cluster muck. Last I heard, this is now officially Phragmipedium warszewiczianum. But as they say, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Just simply stunning

How do you get your phrags to bloom? Mine just keep growing bigger leaves and more new growths. It even has the flower sheath leave signaling it can bloom, but no flower spike, just more new growths. The new growth's leaves are twice the size of its first growth.

I currently grow mine outside and keep it well watered with a 20:20:20 + 10:52:10 fertilizer. Am I missing anything?

For me I grow the long petaled species and intrasectional hybrids similar to most multifloral Paphs.

The ones I've grown love bright light and good air flow. They like moderately warm but not necessarily hot conditions. I don't consider them cool growing per se, just not the most tolerant of hot temperatures.

I give them consistent watering year round. I do not let them stand in water Iike I would most other Phrags.

I usually use a more organic and chunky/airy potting mix for these. Tall pots seem to help.

Since they usually grow year round for me, I fertilize year round as well. I do a very lazy and inconsistent weakly weekly feeding.

Good morning, nothing like a good Phrag. thread to enjoy with the morning coffee.

The correct name for this plant is warszewiczianum. Notwithstanding a lot of confusion surrounding other names in the genus, there really is no confusion as to the name of this species and all the publications in the past 15 years or so agree the name is warszewiczianum (Cervera, Gruss, Cribb, Braem).

What happened was, this species was formally described in the mid 1800's as warszewiczianum. After that, the description was lost, overlooked or ignored, and this species was thereafter described as wallisii. It was known by the name wallisii for decades. There are hybrids registered with that name and awards in the database.

When the error was discovered, the name was formally changed back to warszewiczianum, and according to the rules, this is exactly what should have happened and there is no modern disagreement on this point nor the correct name for the species.

What we need to be careful of, and we being the phragmipedium community, are dubious commercial sources continuing to use the name wallisii in hybrid registrations and on their sales bench (I saw a tag earlier this year that read 'Phragmipedium wallisii variety warszewiczianum forma wallisii, no kidding).

Kudos to Rich for providing a simple and easy to understand way of deciphering the species in this group. Thanks Rich.

Best,

Back