• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Sanderianum flask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A note. We are just now getting 2nd and 3rd generation Paphiopedilum sanderianum plants. Each generation represents a selection of the best and fastest growers. Like with rothschildianum, the flask to bloom time WILL go down and ease of cultivation increase. There are roths blooming 5–6 years out of flask now and prices in the $50 range. Same goes for Phragmipedium besseae! Keep 'em coming.
I was talking to Xavier from SelectOrchid, they have routinely managed to get grow rothschildianum to maturity and bloom in 2 to 3 years, instead of the regular 5 to 7 years.

I wonder if they can apply their method to sanderianum and make them grow 50% faster

David, You have grown some of the most beautiful Paphs, so I am surprised to hear you have trouble with your sanderianum seedlings...
If you get a healthy seedling from a good source, it can be done in 10 years. I paid $100 for a tiny seedling(straight out of flask) from reputable retailer back in 2005/2006, and it took 11 years to mature and bloom. It was a satisfactory journey...and it is a nice clone. I think it will bloom again this fall.
Don't babysit your plants to dead, don't give it any special treatment, just be patient! That is my growing advice...

I am not so much having trouble with them. They look pretty healthy. In my conditions, they just grow so slowly. Roths grow way faster. I have heard from other growers that sanderianum can be really slow for many years until they get to a certain size after which their growth rate increases rapidly. I think I am a long way from even getting to that point. Sanderianum's are very hard to obtain in Australia, and if you can find one, they are very expensive. I was able to purchase a larger plant a couple of years ago and in the last 6 months it has put out a new growth. So it will hopefully flower within the next year. The larger plant is certainly a better grower, but by no means vigorous.

have heard from other growers that sanderianum can be really slow for many years until they get to a certain size after which their growth rate increases rapidly.
My experience is the same. Seedlings grow very slowly for the first five or six years then they gain speed.

Back